Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save sheet drawings as separate files

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
NachitoMax
4993 Views, 9 Replies

save sheet drawings as separate files

Hi

my idw is sloooowwwwwwwww. i have 60 sheets and no realise that was a very bad call... Is there a way of saving each sheet as a separate sheet?

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: NachitoMax

Unless someone has created some code to do this - I think your best bet is to Save As 60 times (delete sheet each time), then open the files and delete the remaining from each.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
blair

Not that I know of other than doing the "Save-Copy-As" and then opening the copy and deleting the sheets not required. You do have the option to Export sheets to other formats (DWG) but then you loose the connectivity. You might find that even cutting it in half may get you over the hump. We try to detail each part on it's own or at least break it down to small sub-assemblies. Don't like putting all the eggs into one basket. Should something happen, you loose a lot of time and work to recover unless you have a good and reliable back-up system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10
NachitoMax
in reply to: JDMather

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I will look at coding it myself as a tool. If there is a possibility using the API, then im good to go. There are not however, any UI methods.....

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 10
mrattray

I'm working in a drawing with about 85 sheets in it and have no problems. What are your system specs? Are you sure there's not something else wrong?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 10
NachitoMax
in reply to: mrattray

Hi

Im pretty sure there is nothing wrong. I have 64 bit, 8 gb ram quad core pc with nVidia 2gb dedicated graphics card.

I'll investigate an export sheet option in the API or make a routine to count the sheets, iterate through, create a new sheet & delete the others around the iteration

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
swalton

Here some of ideas for the manual route:

1. Turn off shading.

2. You can copy-paste single sheets between two open idw files.  This may be less work than saving copies and deleting the extra sheets.  If you turn on Derfer Updates, this will not work (IV 2014).

3. Create your 60 copies with Windows explorer.  Open each file with Defer Updates turned on (options button at the bottom of the file-open window) and delete the unneeded sheets.  This should keep IV from recalculating each drawing until you are done with your changes.

4. Is the price of more RAM (so IV doesn't hit the paging file) less the your hourly billing rate times the number of hours it will take you to code (and test) your solution?  If so, maybe throw more computer at it.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 10
NachitoMax
in reply to: swalton

Hi

My time and billing for coding is irrelevant to a degree. If I make it into a .net addin to the AppStore, I would sell for about £2 to recover the time (based on it being popular obviously) lol.

I can code to-

Iterate through sheets (get sheet count)
For each iteration, create new sheet
Copy paste from one to the other
Save, name, close
Delete iterated objects in master.

I'll work on it during my flight over the weekend 🙂

Many Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi nmjshaw150

Do you got any solution for the same, I too struck in that same situation.

Can you please provide your solution.

Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 10
NachitoMax
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

I did make a solution. I am making it into an app for the store next month so i will drop a link when its done

Thanks

Nacho

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report