Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotation-translation not working

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
revitworkbench
1761 Views, 6 Replies

rotation-translation not working

Ok, so I have been trying to get this constraint to work all weekend and it still is hopeless please help! Note I have Autodesk inventor standard NOT the pro version. I am a Revit professional in dire need of learning Inventor. My exact steps are as follows: 1. Open assembly 2. create component - (simple wheel(cylinder) with an off axis hole in the middle so I can see if it is rotating.) 3. create component- flat surface. 4. constrain the cylinder to the flat surface via a tangent constraint 5. constrain the cylinder to the front edge of the flat surface via a mate constraint. 6. go to motion tab in constraint's, click rotation-translation, type in 10in for distance. 7.wheel does not rotate on surface like a wheel should. There is no affect of the surface on the wheel rotation.In other words I want to get the circumferance of the wheel to rotate 360 degrees as it travels pi*diameter of flat surface. What am I missing? please help!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gsmith9810
in reply to: revitworkbench

The trick to setting up this constraint is to correctly select both parts. The first will be the rotational part. It should already be free to rotate about an axis and constrained to a fixed face. Then select the translational part by picking an edge representing the axis of translation. Open the attached ZIP. Drag the red "post" on the "pinion wheel" and the "rack" will translate.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 3 of 7
gsmith9810
in reply to: gsmith9810

Above example done w/2013. - Gary
Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 4 of 7
revitworkbench

I must be missing something as I am trying to delete all of your constraints and get the same results but I am failing. Can you please up load a screen shot recording or several pictures, because if it is something very particular I need to figure out my systematic error. I have attached my assembly of where I tried to recreate what you did but failed so you might be able to shed some more light on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 7
revitworkbench

Nevermind i figured it out! I was picking the two contact surfaces when in reality you need to pick the face of the wheel and the EDGE of the part you want to translate not the face! Little counter-intuitive but whatever, i got it. Do you have to Align these surfaces by all these plane mates? Why cant you just use a tangent constraint on the wheel and the moving bar?
Message 6 of 7
gsmith9810
in reply to: revitworkbench

In the attached image, I am selecting the cylinder face as the FIRST SELECTION (shown on left).

I am then selecting the linear edge of the rack as the SECOND SELECTION (shown on right).

Doing so uses the circumfrential length as the ratio between the rack and pinion.

Gary

help2.png

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 7 of 7
gsmith9810

Michael - forgetting the translational constraint for the moment...

...in my example, the pinion is constrained to the face of the base plate as well as to the axis of the hole. The base plate is grounded. The pinion can be dragged rotationally.

The rack is touching the pinion face. It is constrained to the face of the base plate and it is flushed to the edge. It can be dragged back/forth.

Now: add the translational constraint and then drag the pinion to see the rack move by the circumfrential length/ratio.

Is all of that working for you in the example assembly when you open it?

- Gary

Gary Smith
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report