Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revolve feature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gdragos
821 Views, 4 Replies

revolve feature

Why can't I revolve a sketch around an axis that passes through the profile drawn in said sketch in Inventor? This was a very useful feature in other CAD programs where I could sketch the cross-section of a hole, counter-bore, etc. and then revolve it around its center axis to create a 3D extrusion of the profile.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: gdragos

I think your problem lies in the fact you are looking at a complete cross section when Inventor only wants a 1/4 section to perform a revolve.  You can still place Linear Diametric dimensions too.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

Works fine in Inventor here.

Works fine in SolidWorks, Pro/E and AutoCAD too.
Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
gdragos

ah yes, I believe you are correct in that I should only be sketching half of the cross-section.  This is what happens when you've been away from CAD for a long time. Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
cadcamm99
in reply to: mflayler2

I am using inventor 2014. I am sketching only half of the profile and the feature works fine.  However, if I create an iFeature out of it, I can only get it to work for 0, 90, and 180 degrees.  If I try it at 270, then I get the message that the axis crosses the profile.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report