Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
JimSteinmeyer
Message 1 of 14 (1,160 Views)
Accepted Solution

regenerate factory members HOW?

1160 Views, 13 Replies
11-02-2011 12:00 PM

I have an assembly that has what I would call 3 configerations, I think Inventor calls them factory members. After completing a several page drawing of the assembly I needed to modify the assembly with new components. Now when I open the drawing I get the error message that factory members need to be up dated. I am informed that to update the members I need to open their factory and regenerate it. I have attempted opening the assembly and selecting regenerate all, I have opened each of the three configurations and updated each one of them. I have attempted this with the drawing both open and closed, nothing has elimenated this error. to make matters worse while the views on sheet 1 show that they need updating, they look correct. The views on sheet 2 still show the assembly prior to the most recent changes.

Can some one please inform me of the proper procedure to open the factory and regenerate the components so the views will be updated?

Thank you

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 14 (1,152 Views)

Re: regenerate factory members HOW?

11-02-2011 12:31 PM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

First your working with an iassembly. Which has a factory (the main assembly) and members (a model of each configuration).

my process when I change an iassembly is to go into the factory and first do a rebuild all, then regenerate all members then save. The rebuild all is a necessary step.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

JimSteinmeyer
Message 3 of 14 (1,139 Views)

11-02-2011 02:33 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

I guess that this is where I am unclear. I have an assembly 6650-0001. I have make an iassembly by opening the table and suspended some of the parts in 6650-0001-2 and 6650-0001-3 leaving 6650-0001-1 as the origional assembly. now I close the table. I select 6650-0001-1 as the active assembly (configuration) under the "table" link in the model tree to make some changes to the model and save the assembly again. Next I open the drawing and get the error message. I then open assembly 6650-0001, is this called an iassembly or a factory (where does "factory" come from anyway)? With 6650-0001 open I activate each of the three configurations under the "table" link. With each configuration open I select manage on the ribbon and then select "update all" on the far left of the ribbon and then go to the next configuration. I finally save the assembly. shouldn't this update everything?

At this point I would like to sell the factory and buy a farm as it has to be more straight forward.

Thank you

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

JimSteinmeyer
Message 4 of 14 (1,112 Views)

11-04-2011 02:54 PM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

I found a solution! I have deleted the drawing views and inserted new ones. One can only attempt to regenerate factory components so often before giving up.

GAwD I long for Solid-doesn't-Works! I never thought I would say that but 6 months of Inventor has changed my mind.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

mark
Message 5 of 14 (1,030 Views)

06-07-2012 01:03 PM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Right click on the drawing view and select Edit View.  Under the Model State Tab there is a section which you can select which imember which is being displayed.  Change the imember and the part will regenerate, then change the member back to the desired imember and it will regenerate again.  This way you don't have to delete any views.  Deleting views is a bad practice especially if you make a change after you are done detailing the drawing you lose all your previous work.  If it is a child view, i.e.. Projected from another view, you must do this to the parent view all associated views will perform the update.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 6 of 14 (1,016 Views)

06-07-2012 07:29 PM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Hey Jim,

I read your opening posting.  I did not read the rest of the postings, but I figured I would pass on my experience to htis point. 

What I have learned is that when you create iparts the factory parts do not show up in the assembly unless you create the factory first then insert them into the assembly.  A pain I know, but that is what I have experienced and been told.

The other thing is if you have vault you need to generate all of the factory files into the vault.  This makes it easier for vault to comunicate with Inventor assemblies.  You may already know this, but like I said I thought I would pass on my knowledge incase it does help you.

Best of luck my friend.  :smileyhappy:

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Valued Mentor
IgorMir
Message 7 of 14 (1,010 Views)

06-08-2012 12:44 AM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Hi Jim,

You need to Generate Files, not Update Assembly. Please see the attached.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
jeff.caplinger
Message 8 of 14 (962 Views)

07-25-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

great, this is the solution I was needing Thanks

JEFCAP
karolicko
Message 9 of 14 (851 Views)

12-18-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: IgorMir

Same problem, easy solution.

THX Igor.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 10 of 14 (832 Views)

12-18-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: karolicko

Understand that everytime you make a change to the iassembly factory, no matter how big or small,

all of the iassembly member need to be regenerated.  This will update the drawing views associated.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube