Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regenerate factory members HOW?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JimSteinmeyer
4459 Views, 14 Replies

regenerate factory members HOW?

I have an assembly that has what I would call 3 configerations, I think Inventor calls them factory members. After completing a several page drawing of the assembly I needed to modify the assembly with new components. Now when I open the drawing I get the error message that factory members need to be up dated. I am informed that to update the members I need to open their factory and regenerate it. I have attempted opening the assembly and selecting regenerate all, I have opened each of the three configurations and updated each one of them. I have attempted this with the drawing both open and closed, nothing has elimenated this error. to make matters worse while the views on sheet 1 show that they need updating, they look correct. The views on sheet 2 still show the assembly prior to the most recent changes.

Can some one please inform me of the proper procedure to open the factory and regenerate the components so the views will be updated?

Thank you

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

First your working with an iassembly. Which has a factory (the main assembly) and members (a model of each configuration).

my process when I change an iassembly is to go into the factory and first do a rebuild all, then regenerate all members then save. The rebuild all is a necessary step.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: mcgyvr

I guess that this is where I am unclear. I have an assembly 6650-0001. I have make an iassembly by opening the table and suspended some of the parts in 6650-0001-2 and 6650-0001-3 leaving 6650-0001-1 as the origional assembly. now I close the table. I select 6650-0001-1 as the active assembly (configuration) under the "table" link in the model tree to make some changes to the model and save the assembly again. Next I open the drawing and get the error message. I then open assembly 6650-0001, is this called an iassembly or a factory (where does "factory" come from anyway)? With 6650-0001 open I activate each of the three configurations under the "table" link. With each configuration open I select manage on the ribbon and then select "update all" on the far left of the ribbon and then go to the next configuration. I finally save the assembly. shouldn't this update everything?

At this point I would like to sell the factory and buy a farm as it has to be more straight forward.

Thank you

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 4 of 15

I found a solution! I have deleted the drawing views and inserted new ones. One can only attempt to regenerate factory components so often before giving up.

GAwD I long for Solid-doesn't-Works! I never thought I would say that but 6 months of Inventor has changed my mind.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 5 of 15
mark

Right click on the drawing view and select Edit View.  Under the Model State Tab there is a section which you can select which imember which is being displayed.  Change the imember and the part will regenerate, then change the member back to the desired imember and it will regenerate again.  This way you don't have to delete any views.  Deleting views is a bad practice especially if you make a change after you are done detailing the drawing you lose all your previous work.  If it is a child view, i.e.. Projected from another view, you must do this to the parent view all associated views will perform the update.

Message 6 of 15
Cadmanto

Hey Jim,

I read your opening posting.  I did not read the rest of the postings, but I figured I would pass on my experience to htis point. 

What I have learned is that when you create iparts the factory parts do not show up in the assembly unless you create the factory first then insert them into the assembly.  A pain I know, but that is what I have experienced and been told.

The other thing is if you have vault you need to generate all of the factory files into the vault.  This makes it easier for vault to comunicate with Inventor assemblies.  You may already know this, but like I said I thought I would pass on my knowledge incase it does help you.

Best of luck my friend.  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 15
IgorMir

Hi Jim,

You need to Generate Files, not Update Assembly. Please see the attached.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 15

great, this is the solution I was needing Thanks

JEFCAP
Message 9 of 15
karolicko
in reply to: IgorMir

Same problem, easy solution.

THX Igor.

Message 10 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: karolicko

Understand that everytime you make a change to the iassembly factory, no matter how big or small,

all of the iassembly member need to be regenerated.  This will update the drawing views associated.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 11 of 15
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

Understand that everytime you make a change to the iassembly factory, no matter how big or small,

all of the iassembly member need to be regenerated.  This will update the drawing views associated.

... except when it doesn't.

About half of the iParts and iAssemblies I've got will flat out refuse to update the drawing in anything like a consistent manner. 

For instance:

1.  Open drawing, receive message that factory members are out of date and need to be regenerated.

2.  Open factory, global update, rebuild all, then regenerate factory members.

3.  Go back to drawing, everything seems fine.

4.  Change sheets of drawing, or insert a new view, or edit an existing view ... receive message that factory members are out of date and need to be regenerated.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: LT.Rusty

LT Rusty,

Glad to hear that i am not the only one with these exact same issues. That is why my best solutions to date have been:

A; delete drawing view and replace it. or

B; never use a factory so I don't have this problem.

And I was almost becoming an Inventor beliver and putting aside my SW brain washing.

Well I guess I could get out a pad and pencil, but that is even more work....I think.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 13 of 15

Hi Guys,

Glad I am not alone too.

It is a serious problem and couldn't find the answer for it!

Message 14 of 15
exSWX
in reply to: alihillaldam

We had the same problem up-reving a drawing of an iFactory part.

We couldn't get the new revision to show.

Fix was to open the iFactory PART in question and Manage, Rebuild All, then Generate the new files as previously mentioned. The new revision would then show in the drawing field.

Hope this helps.

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Message 15 of 15
BP-OZ
in reply to: IgorMir

I know this thread is old but thankyou thankyou thankyou. As the original poster said, I was ready to sell the factory and a farm!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report