Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Update All Sheets" icon always visible

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
PolemEngineering
4029 Views, 8 Replies

"Update All Sheets" icon always visible

We use multiple sheets only in case when 1 sheet is has not the sufficiënt space for showing al details of an assembly-drawing.

I'm wondering why the "Update all sheets" icon is allways visible when using more then one sheet in a drawing.

René

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: PolemEngineering

Once you have more than 1 sheet in the drawing the command becomes active and will remain active (as long as you don't turn on "Defer updates" in the document settings) .

I don't think it has the ability to tell you wether an update is actually necessary or not. I think you are expecting too much of the command 🙂

Although I perfectly understand your confusion. I would also like the Save button to get disabled when no save is necessary in a document that I have open.  But even Microsoft Office does not offer such a nice touch...

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 9
andreasenv
in reply to: bobvdd

So, usually, one can tell from the icons that there is an update available but not when you have two sheets. And that is expecting too much of the command? How

Message 4 of 9
IgorMir

It falls into a category of "the lights are on but nobody's home" for sure. Now I know that the Update icon has no meaning once there are two or more drawing sheets in a file. And for all those years I was thinking that the Inventor is telling me that the model has been updated...

Thanks, Bob.

@bobvdd wrote:

I don't think it has the ability to tell you wether an update is actually necessary or not. I think you are expecting too much of the command 🙂 

Bob

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 9
bobvdd
in reply to: andreasenv

The command is only meant to give you the chance to force an update of the one or more views that you have selected. In 99% of the cases this is not necessary and Inventor updates existing views automatically when there is a change. It is just in those 1% of the cases where Inventor does not do it for you , to get the views right.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 6 of 9
dhowe44H84

Who is confused, the customer! Having used Solidworks prevously I see inventor riddled with stuff like this. Has it updated all sheets? then switch it off! LIke with one sheet - still confused? To be fair I am confused myself - where is the SOLUTION.

Message 7 of 9
ToddPig
in reply to: dhowe44H84

In Inventor lingo..

"It's pretty simple, there is a button that works differently depending on the number of sheets on your drawing..  If you only have one sheet, and it meets the" 1% of the cases rule" , then the Update All Sheets button highlights.  If you have more than one sheet, then the button also highlights, but not so you can update them, or even to let you know that they need updating.  It simply highlights to let you know that your multi-sheet drawing has more then one sheet.

Inventor 2018
(23+ years of Solidworks, 5+ years of fighting Inventor)
Autodesk Vault Pro 2018
iParts = iHeadache
Message 8 of 9
Message 9 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: ToddPig

@ToddPig wrote:

... If you have more than one sheet, then the button also highlights, but not so you can update them, or even to let you know that they need updating.  It simply highlights to let you know that your multi-sheet drawing has more then one sheet.

Hi ToddPig,

I just wanted to provide some clarity to the misconception that this button is not updating the sheets.

When you click the button it does update each sheet, but:

• the button does not gray out like the other Update button to indicate updated views (the converse of which you noted)
  • the sheet nodes marked with red lightning bolt symbols do not clear to indicate those sheets have been updated until you move your cursor over the browser, as shown in this video.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report