Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Parts Only" parts lists - Inventor 8

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
619 Views, 11 Replies

"Parts Only" parts lists - Inventor 8

Sometimes when I insert a parts list, I'm given the option of creating it with "First Level Components" or "Parts Only". Sometimes I'm not given this choice and a "First Level Components" parts list is created without the dialog appearing. Under what circumstances am I not presented with the option, and how can I create a "Parts Only" parts list at this point? I'm almost certain I've done this before. I think my head cold is infecting my gray matter. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. To err is human; to debug, divine.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Usually you get the option if there is no parts list and no balloons on a view. K Johnson
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks, Kathy. You're right - once I deleted the other parts list and the balloons I was given the option when I inserted another parts list. But still, on two different sheets, I have a view of the main assembly. On one sheet, I'd like to have a "First Level Components" parts list, and on another sheet, I'd like to have a "Parts Only" parts list for the folks downstairs. Not possible within the same idw file? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

It doesn't look like it is possible. Can you have the assembly on one sheet and a presentation with no tweaks for your second sheet? K Johnson
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Can you have the assembly on one sheet and a presentation with no tweaks for your second sheet? I suppose that would work. It figures that your workaround would have something to do with Presentations . Seems easier to just create a second Drawing file instead of a Presentation file, though. Thanks much. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I guess it all depends on what you want for the end result. K Johnson
Message 7 of 12
ArtC

I just tested this work around, and if worked for me in IV8.
Make two different idw. One with "First Level Components" and one with "parts Only". Now copy and past sheet from one Idw to the other. This even updated when I added a part.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Make two different idw. That's what I've done. A bit of a sloppy workaround but it gets the job done nonetheless. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl
Message 9 of 12
ArtC

Now copy the sheet from one of your idw into the other idw. You now have one two sheet idw with two different part list.
You do not need to keep the idw you copied the sheet from.
Message was edited by: ArtC
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Oh! I didn't quite catch that from your first reply. I'll give that a try. Thanks! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Your suggestion worked perfectly. Nice little trick. Thanks again, Art. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

>>>I've got a feelin' Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl

I dunno, those tickets sell out pretty fast!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report