Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fanning" Motion Constraint

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ASchlaack
579 Views, 11 Replies

"Fanning" Motion Constraint

I'm trying to make a hex key set and i want it to "fan" open for lack of better words, I mean have one open the about 20degrees then have the next key open to 20dregrees while the first key continues to have a 20degree then have the last key open. Is this at all possible to do on 1 constraint? On this and the first two comments will be all the files.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Dell Windows 8.1 64 bit Intel(R) Xeon(R) @ 3.50GHz 32GB Ram
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ASchlaack
in reply to: ASchlaack

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 3 of 12
ASchlaack

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 12
JDMather

@ASchlaack wrote:

Is this at all possible to do on 1 constraint?

What you want to do is possible, but first, I recommend that you master more basic techniques.
If I edit Sketch1 in your Base part I see that you are missing a tangent constraint, a coincident constraint between end of an arc and line and a coincident constraint between the origin and midpoint of the bottom line.

I recommend you read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Constraints.png

Notice that if properly constrained fewer dimensions are needed and Inventor will add most, if not all, of these constraints for you automatically once you learn sketch techniques.  Not also that the sketch changes color when constrained and in lower right corner of the screen it indicates Fully Constrained.

Properly Constrained.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

You should almost never use Thread feature for holes (or extruded cut cylinders).

Instead you should select the tapped hole icon in the Hole feature dialog box.

This selects the correct tap drill size for your threaded hole.

As you did it the hole is too big and there will not be any material for the threads - the fastener will fall out of the nut.

Tap Drill Size.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
ASchlaack

I do realize that, this isn't a drawing I made. A guy in my class drew it and gave me the file to post on here. He isn't concerned about how that part is at this time, he just needs the constraint for the assembolly.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 7 of 12
JDMather

A hex key is dimensioned across flats, not across points.

Hex Key.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

aschlaack wrote:.... He isn't concerned about how that part is at this time, he just needs ...

I am always concerned about stuff like this (particularly the wrong hole size for thread and wrong size for hex).

I worked out on shop floor for 8 years and saw too many engineers who somehow missed this stuff in school.

Apparently they weren't concerned about.......either...

I have a policy of not moving on to more advanced topics until the foundation basics are mastered.

Perhaps someone else will come along and offer solution to the assembly problem.  Good luck!

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
ASchlaack

I do completely agree with you about this, he is a freshman in highschool so it's his first year of engineering which is his reason for not knowing all of this as well as not caring because he doesnt realize how much it matters. I was just wanting to know for myself so I could teach him how to so that he could learn how to properly use Inventor. But I can promise you that I will be sharing everything you have said so for with him as soon as I can. Thank you.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 10 of 12
JDMather

The easiest techique might be with concentric surface body cylinders - one cylinder in each part, and then use Contact Sets.  I will try to post an example late today if someone else doesn't jump in here with a solution.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
ASchlaack

Ok I will try that. Thank you a ton! ~Aaron Schlaack Sent from my iPhone
Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 12 of 12
graemev

Is this what you're aiming at?  Fan by changing assembly parameter d19.  (You can animate it using "Drive Constraint".)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report