Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Do not show this message ever again" doesn't work for certain msg

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
mrattray
987 Views, 18 Replies

"Do not show this message ever again" doesn't work for certain msg

Every time I (or any of my coworkers) starts a new session of Inventor it resets the prompt setting for the [paraphrase] "Parts in this assembly have changed. Would you like to update the assembly?". Of course I want the assembly updated. I don't need this message every morning.

I haven't found any other messages that have settings that won't "stick" like this.

Thoughts?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Load service pack 2 and see what happens.

Message 3 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

I'm not aware of a second service pack for Inventor 2012.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 19
mrattray

Inventor crashed for the third time today (no surprise) and look what I get upon reopening the assembly. Again.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 19
jalexander

*bump*...it would be nice if this got fixed.

Message 6 of 19
mrattray

I've noticed that it's not listed (or I just can't find it) in the prompts tab of the application options. I'm sure this is related. Is there perhaps an xml file or something that can be edited to include it?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 19
Vlad.Makarov

It is a known bug that has been discussed before. If it isn't fixed in version 2013, it will be in 2014, 2015 or maybe 2020.
ChrisMitchell01

Unfortunately, yes, this is still an issue in Inventor 2013. It's identified for fixing in 2014.

A possible workaround may be to go to the App Options, Save tab & check the "Prompt for Recomputable Updates" setting.

Note that this will result in certain files being saved that perhaps wouldn't otherwise have been saved, (since the reason for the save can be recomputed real time), so it may not be suitable for every scenario; it should stop the constant dialog from appearing, once all the files have been saved though.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Thanks for the response, I'll give your workaround a try.

It never even occured to me that this could possibly be a known and ongoing problem as it seems so simple to me. Unless there's something going on here that I don't understand (which is likely), I don't see how it could possibly take more than a moment of someone's time to properly correct this.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 19
karthur1

This kind of thing really gets to me!  I started complaining about this in a post on 9/22/2011 (Inventor 2012... Missing Prompt).    AD told me then to issue a product enhancement request... seriously?? (I did BTW). This was one reason that my company did not load 2012.

I also brought this up during 2013 Beta II hoping it would get fixed then.  Now it is being slated to be corrected in Inventor 2014. I am sure that I was not the first one to bring it to their attention, but if I was, that means it will take them over 18 months to fix this. Its not like we are asking for a NEW feature.  We are asking them to put something back to the way it was in Inventor 2011.

I have several apps on my phone.  Several of them have avenues for suggestions.  Many times, I have sent them suggestions and the suggestion will show up in an update within a month (they even send me a notice telling me an update is available).  This is on FREE apps on my phone. Inventor is a long way from being FREE.  My company just paid over $30k in subscriptions renewals and we have to put up with crap like this.  This has got to get better.

Message 11 of 19
jalexander
in reply to: karthur1

Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself.  Inventor 2011 SP3 was working flawlessly.  We update to 2012, and a slew of bugs riddled throughout the program!  Somewhat understandable for an initially released product.  But when there has only been one service pack released and hardly any issues resloved, something seems fishy.  Is this a sign of things to come from Autodesk?  I don't feel warm and fuzzy about installing 2013.  I guarantee, if we don't start seeing an improvement, we will be finding another product. 

Message 12 of 19
garin
in reply to: jalexander

We realize this is issues is an inconvenience when opening and saving files in Inventor and I apologize for the frustration it has cased. It is a known issue that we have been investigating and recently addressed for Inventor 2014.

It’s our desire to get it this fix out to everybody as soon as possible as we are investigating ways to do just that. As you are all aware, Inventor is a big product with lots of interdependencies so care must be taken to ensure we don’t introduce additional issues with these changes.  There is still work that needs to be done to see if we can get this out as a Service Pack or Hotfix for the current releases of Inventor.

Message 13 of 19
jalexander
in reply to: garin

It's good to see you are still working on it.  I might just skip the 2013 version and go straight to 2014 next year.

Message 14 of 19
karthur1
in reply to: garin

Garin,

Just a few points:

1. The issue is not with saving files... only when they are being opened.

2. I first saw this in 2012 and mentioned it.  Also saw it in 2013, beta 2 and mentioned it. Its not like it "just" came up.

2. This prompt is not related to any other Autodesk product, just Inventor.

4. Also, this is not something "new".  We are asking for something to be but back that was taken out by accident.

Hopefully, it will not take 2 years (thats two releases of Inventor) to get something that is so simple as a prompt (that was working in 2011). I appreciate the work that all of the Inventor team does, but I just cant see why it would take so long to get this fixed.

I remember a few years back, the Inventor team had a program called "Just Do it". This program was centered around the idea that when someone found a problem with Inventor, the problem was investigated and resolved with a hotfix and released ASAP.  I vote to bring that back.

Message 15 of 19
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

Hopefully, it will not take 2 years (thats two releases of Inventor) to get something that is so simple as a prompt (that was working in 2011). I appreciate the work that all of the Inventor team does, but I just cant see why it would take so long to get this fixed.

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Either you get lucky & get a good release or you get a bad release & then wait a year or two. There is no incentive for them to fix broken releases. They want companies to stay on a yearly subscription so there is a continuous revenue stream. It's a hamster wheel & we're the hamsters.

jalexander
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

The message was available in the "Application Options/Prompts" tab to set the response and the promt action in Inventor 2011.  I would imediately set it to respond "Yes" and to "Never" prompt.  Ever since we've updated to Inventor 2012, we have to continuously click the "Yes" button everytime an assembly is opened.  Not a killer, but quite annoying.

Message 17 of 19
mrattray
in reply to: jalexander

I was looking through some of my old threads and wanted to mark this one with its solution:

Update 1 for 2013 fixed it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 19
karthur1

Fixed it for me too....

MANY! thanks to those responsible for getting this fixed.

Message 19 of 19

This problem still has not been solved and it's almost 2024.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report