Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with flange creating in sheet metal part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wolf1o
523 Views, 7 Replies

problem with flange creating in sheet metal part

Hi,

1. Something really annoying: I'm trying to create a flange from the point shown with the arrow - toward the blue sketch line.

Now the part itself (it it's a cover for some part) was built with a contour flange, and I tried to create another contour flange attached to it - it didn't let me choose my sketch line, no matter if placed the sketch on the center plane of the part, or on its side - someone can tell me why it's not possible???

2. After surrendering to option 1, I'm trying to create a flange (again ,not a good option as option 1 with a contour flange..), and extent "to" a plane, or a sketch, but again, it's not letting me choose anything!! is it not possible?

Please help......

Thanks

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: wolf1o

Hi! Could you attach the files here? I would like to take a closer look at the issue. The image alone is not enough for me to see where the problem is.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8
wolf1o
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes.

Sure - I've attached the two files and the assembly itself.

Thanks!

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the confusion now. The problem here is that the Extent workflow is not that inuitive. You need to select a workpoint or a vertex on a solid in order to satisfy the selection. Sketch point is not allowed. Before you do that, simply create a workpoint on top of the sketch point. Then go to Flange command and pick the workpoint for To/Height Extents. It should work.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
wolf1o

Hi,

Your answer refers to the "to" extent with the flange? or refers to the why I couldn't add another contour flange, connected to the already made contour flange?

Why isn't it possible (I couldn't) to create another contour flange the way I tried? (I tried to add the sketch on the side of the part, center plane but either didn't work)

I'll try your suggestion now with the work point for the flange - if this is what you meant.

Thanks.

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Based on the image (9-28-2011 4-16-44 PM.pn) and the assembly (back tilt case.zip), it is not clear to me personally to understand where you want to create the contour flange. When you start a brand new sheet metal part with no geometry, the Contour flange feature will set default Width Extents to Distance, so you can enter a distance value to create the contour flange quickly. Plus, there are no edges available for the contour flange to hang on to. However, once there is geometry, the default Width Extents will change to Edge. You will either need to pick an edge or change Width Extents to Distance to create a contour flange.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
wolf1o

I managed the flange thing.

But regarding the contour flange - What I couldn't do is adding another flange, even when I started a new sketch on the side face of the part. Should I add some point etc., like in the flange case?

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Could you attach a file here? I want to make sure I understand the geometric conditions.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report