Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible 2013 bug? new part default sketch on y-z plane can't draw

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kmiller
539 Views, 5 Replies

possible 2013 bug? new part default sketch on y-z plane can't draw

Hi there,

Working on setting up 2013 for our department.  By default we use the application option - Part Tab - of creating a sketch on the x-z plane upon new part creation.  Now this actually works, problem is you can't draw on it, or you can't see what you are drawing.  If you exit out of the sketch and start a new one then it works.  I have found that if you switch the setting to the y-z plane is does the same thing.  Switching it to no new sketch or the x-y plane and it works fine.  Has anyone else experienced this??  I am trying to determine if it's actually a bug in inventor or if it's just something with what I am doing or our template files. 

Look forward to hearing some feedback. 

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kmiller
in reply to: kmiller

I have to add that looking at this more, if you click on the home icon on the view cube then you can sketch and also if you flip it to the top and the bottom view.  But I don't recall this being how 2012 worked. 

Maybe I am missing something.  I understand now why it won't let you sketch, but why it's not working the way I thought it should be I am not sure. 

I am going to try and check some more settings in the meantime.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 6
kmiller

I think my issue is related to the post about titled "New sketch on XZ Plane - puts me on wrong side".  I did confirm that 2012 does not act in the same manor.

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think you might have uncheck "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" option in Application Options -> Sketch. The behavior seems to be the same on R2013 and R2012 if the option is set the same.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
kmiller

Yeah we do have it unchecked.  In both 2012 and 2013 and it works fine in 2012.  Our users actually don't like having this on which is why I left it off. 

Can you try it in 2012 and 2013 on your end, and see if you can notice what I am talking about? 

So have the option of viewing plane upon creation off.  Then toggle the new sketch on part creation from xy plane to the xz plane and notice the difference.  One will work wonderfully, the other won't. 

If necessary I could post vids but it should be really easy to reproduce.

Message 6 of 6
kmiller

My appologies to everyone.  Apparently this is how it also works in 2012.  Our users are just used to clicking on the home tab before sketching.  Thanks. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report