Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

position of COG in selected parts.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
safiredesignengineers
648 Views, 5 Replies

position of COG in selected parts.

Hi group

(I have started a new post as the other post was solved prior to this question)

I have now been able to select items in an assembly and get weight and COG details of just the selected items, however I guess the COG will be working from the world datum as the xyz data is very wrong?

how do i set the world datum to a known point on one of the parts in the current view so that I can get the COG to relate to a position within the part that I set the datum to?

basically I have a block of metal with a load of parts on one end that offsets the weight / COG and i need to balance this on some brackets that are equally spaced from the COG, so i need to determine where the COG is of all the selected parts but as a position within the block from a known point.

regards Adrian

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You can measure the COG location from any available geometry or work features.

Message 3 of 6

Hi Cw

thanks for your reply, I see I need to use the measure command?

I was looking at the iproperties output and also by hovering the mouse over the COG!!

is it possible to have the COG appear in the dwg drawing layout, as a fixed point?

regards Adrian

Message 4 of 6

That's correct--use the measure command.

Edit:  The coordinates displayed in the iProperties window and hovering over the COG in the window are from the assembly origin.  I think you understood this, but I wanted to be clear.

To display the COG in a drawing view, in the browser, expand the node for the drawing view, right-click the part or assembly file in that view, and choose "Center of Gravity" (see the image below).  This will display the COG as a center mark to which you can add dimensions.

Drawing COG.png

Message 5 of 6

Hi CW

thanks, however I am getting some anomolies!

a) if i place an assembly in the drawing view I can rt click on the assembly and select COG and it marks the spot, but I can't do this with individual parts withing the assembly, the COG is not in the menu of the rt click?

although if i place a view of a single part on the sheet this works?

b) the COG shown in the dwg is for the whole assembly, even though i use my level of detail view?

so the view shows just the parts in the level of detail, however if you look at the assembly list node all the parts are unsupressed? I guess the dwg has not carried the suppressed command through but it has brought the level of detail through.

is this a bug?

regards Adrian

Message 6 of 6

I haven't experienced this behavior.  I'll investigate and get back to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report