Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

part number in drawing view label

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mlstalter
2507 Views, 11 Replies

part number in drawing view label

We put several parts on a single drawing sheet and ,to include the part number in the drawing view label, we must edit each view label and change the type to Properties_Model and the Property to Part Number. Is there a way to set the default of a drawing view label to include the Part Number? I tried modifying the styles to include <PART NUMBER> but it the text "<PART NUMBER>" came in instead of the value. To get the value, I had to edit the view label and hit the X with a down arrow to get the part number to show up, which is not much different than having to edit the label and change type and property. I'm looking to avoid all the view label editing as much as possible. Inventor 2014. Thanks in advance for help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mpatchus
in reply to: mlstalter

Edit your VIEW PREFERENCES in the Styles & Standards.

View Label - PN.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 12
mlstalter

mpatches,

Can't read what you typed in styles menu.

Message 4 of 12
mpatchus

Don't type anything, that is where you are encountering your problem.

Use the pull down to insert the correct property from the model.

View Label - PN.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 12
mlstalter

Mike,

Ok, I see it. This is what I'm trying to avoid i.e. having to edit the view label each time I create a view to input the model part number. Is there a way to set up part number as default info in view label withiut having to edit each time I create a new view?

Message 6 of 12
mpatchus

If you edit your styles and update your template, you should be all set.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 7 of 12
mlstalter
in reply to: mpatchus

Template as in drawing template? Drawing template is empty with no views. Am I missing something?

Michael Stalter
CAD Designer
814-437-5780 home
814-673-4342 cell
mlstalter@gmail.com
Message 8 of 12
cbenner

If you open your template and edit the style settings as noted above, they will come in every time you create a new drawing view.  Your default view label will include the iproperty Part Number.

Pardon my chicken scratch.

views.JPG

Message 9 of 12
mlstalter
in reply to: cbenner

Chris - When you say to open template and edit style settings, do you mean open the drawing border and edit the styles? I created a new drawing, edited the border definition, opened the styles editor (set to local styles), selected the view preference tab, and edited the "display" box to say "<PART NUMBER>". I did this for both BASE view and PROJECTED view and saved the style. I tested it by adding both a new view and projected view and PART NUMBER value showed up in the view label. Beautiful!! Only trouble is, I closed out the drawing and created a new one to test and the editd in the styles editor (local styles) didn't save. What am I doing wrong? Is this a "local" vs "active standard" vs "all standard" style issue? Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 12
cbenner

When I say template, I mean the file that you are selecting as the starting file when you create a new drawing.  When you select "New", you should see somehting lik this:

template.JPG

Or similar depending on your view settings.  These are your drawing templates.  You may have more or less than I do, it depends on your company standards.  You will select one of these to begin a new drawing, or part or assembly etc.  If you change the view settings in this template file, the changes you make, as long as you save them, will be there the next time you select this file as the template for a new drawing.  The drawing border is not a template, though yoour template most likely HAS a drawing border in it.

Forgive me, but have you had any Inventor training or run through any of the tutorials?  you may want to have a look at this or even save it someplace for future reference.  http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Good luck.

Message 11 of 12
mlstalter
in reply to: cbenner

Chris - Yes I've been on Inventor for awhile, but never dealt with templates or modifying them. When I start a new drawing, this window comes up.

template.JPG

I select the "FTP ANSI Title Block" and hit "CREATE". I believe this is my template. It resides in our vault in a sub-folder under workspace as well as in "my documents" folder. I check out the workspace version, open the file, edit the styles to include <PART NUMBER> and when I try to save, I get this message.

styleerror.JPG

Any idea what I need to do to fix this? I don't think my style change  is saving. Thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 12
cbenner

Well... that don't look good.  It appears to have been corrupted.  If you know when the last time was that it was workign, you could do a restore from a backup.  The filename for the main standard is usually Standard.xml and is locatred in that Design Data folder.

If worse comes to worst, you may have to create a new standard in the styles editor, and reset any custom settings you had in the corrupted one.  If the old one will let you edit but not save, you may be able to just go back and forth between them to get the new one set up.  If you go that route, once it has been created and saved right click on it and select Active to make it the default.  I would wait a while to make sure all is well before attempting to purge the corrupted one.... just in case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report