Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ordinate dimensions

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
nlovan
3395 Views, 16 Replies

ordinate dimensions

How do I rotate my value(s) on the verticle ordinate dimension verticle?
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: nlovan

The best way is to create a new ordinate dimension style that reflects
the vertical text orientation.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 3 of 17
nlovan

How do you create a new ordinate dimension style that reflects the verticle text orientation?
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

The Styles Editor under the Manage tab while in an IDW. Have you worked
with styles? This can be a complicated subject. Might check out the
Styles tutorials at:
http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blogs/blog/view/6/Everything_You_Need_Know_About/

If you still have problems post back!
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 5 of 17
danchapman

I am also having the same issue. I want to make my ordinate dimension text appear in the vertical orientation. I thought I had it figured out by setting the text style to a 90 deg. angle. I also made this text style referenced in my dimension style. However, it did not work. It works on the note text boxes but not with the dimension text.

Thanks
Message 6 of 17
mcgyvr

easiest way is to just change this option in the style editor that I have highlighted in the attached image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 17
danchapman

Thanks. I had passed over that box.
Message 8 of 17
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi.  I just found this thread.  I was looking for the same thing.  Like shown in this picture from the help.  I wanted my text to be in-line with the leaders.  It looks like that's been answered, but does this mean that I need a separate dimension style for my ordinate dimensions if I don't want my regular dimensions to have the text rotated?

Thanks,

Bill

Ordinate.png

Message 9 of 17
Rich.O.3d

The solution below is from 2010...that switch does not control the ordinate dimensions in Inventor 2012

eg below

note: same dimstyle for linear and ordinate dims

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 10 of 17
SBix26
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

If you don't want normal linear dimensions rotated, then you will need two different dimension styles.  But you can set your Object Defaults style to default to the appropriate style for each dimension type.

Message 11 of 17
Bill.Schmid
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks, Sam.  That's what I did.  It works fine.  I'll just have to update our styles.

Message 12 of 17
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

you might have missed something

You do not need 2 diffenrent styles to have this behaviour.

Look at the attachments on my last post...

both scenarios are using the same dimension style.

CAD Management 101:
Message 13 of 17
Bill.Schmid

Both your attachments show ordinate dimensions the way I want them.  Neither show regular dimensions the way I want them (text horizontal).  I believe two dimension styles are still required.

Message 14 of 17
Rich.O.3d

hmmmm

I might have missed something

I differ to sbixler's wisdom on this one.

(I usually have ordinates setup as a couple of styles anyway...one for RL's EL's etc -in meters)

ie RL: 12.660 m TOS_________      etc

CAD Management 101:
Message 15 of 17
GrooveM
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

I know this has been a while but I just started using 2013 a couple of months ago and I have the same situation. I am using a corporate license so the settings are directed. In INV 2009 I was able to simply select the orientation in each of the Default (ANSI) as Horizontal and the Ordinate (ANSI) as Inline. But in 2013 the Default (ANSI) is the only one that affects the text orientation (see attached pics). In Pic 1 the Default (ANSI is set to Horizontal (dims in the right view are correct) while at the same time the Ordinate (ANSI) settings in Pic 2 show that the Orientation for Ordinate text is set to Inline yet they remain in the Horizontal orientation. In pic 3 you'll notice that when I set the orientation in the Default (ANSI) settings the Ordinate Dims change. Is there a patch or fix for this issue? Again I am a little behind the times but it seems like there should be a fix for this issue. Thanks in advance for your help and have a great day.

Message 16 of 17
SBix26
in reply to: GrooveM

I think the problem is that ordinate dimensions on your system are defaulting to use the Default(ANSI) style.  Edit your active Object Defaults style and set ordinate dimensions to use Ordinate(ANSI) instead of Default(ANSI).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 17 of 17
GrooveM
in reply to: SBix26

That was it. I greatly appreciate your help. Take care.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report