Inventor General

Distinguished Contributor
kstate92
Message 11 of 22 (670 Views)

Re: new free tech preview on Autodesk Labs: Project Simulus mechanical simulatio

04-24-2012 06:19 AM in reply to: mcmillr

Mainly, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.  Thanks for the info.  I have run a couple of static stress analyses and it has been nice to have.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 12 of 22 (604 Views)

Re: new free tech preview on Autodesk Labs: Project Simulus mechanical simulatio

05-15-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: kstate92

I just posted a new build for download.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/kraken/ 

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
StagerB
Message 13 of 22 (568 Views)

05-24-2012 07:35 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Question: In the Thermal Steady State analysis is there a way to see deformation scale by applying various temperatures? Or is this still in development?

Employee
henderh
Message 14 of 22 (556 Views)

05-24-2012 08:41 AM in reply to: StagerB

Hi StagerB,

Yes, it does.  Attached is a deformation image of a coupled thermal stress simulation, where two strips of dissimlar metals are bonded and then raised 20 degrees C from the intial temperature.

Please let us know if you have additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Thanks! -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
*Expert Elite*
Dan.M
Message 15 of 22 (524 Views)

05-26-2012 08:49 AM in reply to: henderh

Hi,

Can we have a tutorial in which the thermal boundaried are explained? 

For example lets take a steel pipe in wich the inside surface is heated to 80 C

and we can see whats the temp on the outside surface.

Thanks

Dan 

*Expert Elite*
Dan.M
Message 16 of 22 (523 Views)

05-26-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: henderh

For example in the picture, i would expect to see the

heat expand trough the part and get cooler temp on the outside.

Maybe mysetup is wrong, I dont know

Dan

Vitellik
Message 17 of 22 (474 Views)

06-09-2012 02:00 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hello,

I am trying to use it for thermal steady evaluation of thin layers (steel plates) insulated.

I have to apply convection inside and outside.

Two issues:

1. I get an error about my thin object:

230264.sim: Study 1 - Thermal: Error: Body 'Simulation Model:1/230264.iam:1/230264_SFT:1' is thin.
                 230264.sim: Study 1 - Thermal: Asynchronous cloud solve failed.

2. may I change properties to customized materials?

Apart from this, looks to be a very easy to use interface.

Thanks

Mario

Employee
henderh
Message 18 of 22 (454 Views)

06-11-2012 09:28 AM in reply to: Dan.M

Hi Dan,

The initial temperature is 20 deg C, or 68 deg F (room temperature) unless an applied temperature exists.

For your pipe or wheel rim example, you would need to apply different temperatures to different faces for steady-state heat transfer to occur.  Either that or apply heat flux or convection to the other face(s) that do not have the applied temperature.

By applying a single temperature to one face or a set of faces, in steady-state, the entire part will eventually become that specified temperature.  This is because there is no heat leaving the body, as faces without any applied 'boundary condition' is treated as adiabatic (no heat transfer).

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot apply an applied temperature + heat flux (or convection, etc) to the same face.  It is somwhat similiar to applying a force and fixed constraint to the same face in LSS.

Hope this helps!  Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
Employee
mcmillr
Message 19 of 22 (431 Views)

06-12-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: Vitellik

Mario, unfortunately there is a limitation in the Simulus tech preview which is preventing it from processing parts that are very thin. We should be able to handle these sorts of models in a future update.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert McMillan

Project Simulus Team

Autodesk

*Expert Elite*
Dan.M
Message 20 of 22 (405 Views)

06-12-2012 01:07 PM in reply to: henderh

I love Simulus. It is awsome. When can we have this as part from Inventor. Next week maybe ? :smileyhappy: 

Also we would like to have a launcher from Inventor to Simulus.

Regards,

Dan

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube