Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multi body surface to solid

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
chachaman
2748 Views, 10 Replies

multi body surface to solid

Hello,

I have a multibody surface part, which is derived from a multibody part. Therefor there are multiple contiguous surface parts  that are isolated from each other.

Is there a way to STITCH or convert one of these contiguous surfaces into a solid part ?

Note:  I tried the THICKEN tool but the hole features do not come out right. Some holes are missing or the hole depths are wrong.

Thx in advance for your replies.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rdyson
in reply to: chachaman

I don't know how you got to where you are, but in the attached file (I skipped unresolved links) copy the solid1 to construction. Edit construction, copy object solid1, finish construction and you good to go.

Maybe an easier way, this one works.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 11
chachaman
in reply to: rdyson

Thx for replying.

Sorry I don't understand your instruction. Can you be more explicit ?

Regards

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a multibody surface part, which is derived from a multibody part. Therefor there are multiple contiguous surface parts  that are isolated from each other.

Uhmmm why did you derive as a Composite surface body rather than just one of the Solid bodies?

In fact you can push out all of the solid bodies from within the original file with Make Components or the Make Parts commands.

I don't understand your workflow - more information is needed.

I guess you could Delete Face a single face from each surface body and then Sculpt, the one you do want, but that sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
chachaman
in reply to: JDMather

Thx for your reply.

I am aware and adept at pushing out parts from Make Component. But I don't like that workflow for this job.

I could just as easily Derive As Solid, but what does that change ?.

I like your Sculpt suggestion because it conserves the hole features properly. But like you say, it's alot of work to delete the extra faces off the non pertinant bodies.

Thx for your interest.

Message 6 of 11
jakefowler

Hi chachaman,

Many thanks for posting this issue. I was able to obtain a single solid, combining the volumes enclosed within these surfaces, by simply using the Sculpt command on your existing surface model (no need to delete faces). Does this give you your desired result? Or are there something problematic with the solid body produced?

Thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 7 of 11
chachaman
in reply to: jakefowler

Hello Jake,

The surface model, contains 12 isolated bodies. I want to sculpt just one of these bodies.

How do I make a selection using this command that isolates just one of these bodies ?

Regards....

Message 8 of 11
chachaman

....If I 'Derive As A Solid', I can then cut away the excess material. This Geometry lends itself easilt to this solution.

A more elegant solution would be to use the thicken command as this a sheet stock job. (Panel construction). However, if I do this, The hole features are not properly conserved. The opposing  side holes are not constructed and all holes become thru holes.

It would be nice if the Thicken command could faithfully make this part.

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

It would be nice if the Thicken command could faithfully make this part.

Sounds like an error in logic to me.
I am completely lost as to what your design intent is.

Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do and why you need to derive to a surface body rather than deriving the solid bodies direclty without this extra file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
chachaman
in reply to: JDMather

Good Morning JD,

That assembly is actually constructed of sheet stock (panels).This work flow predates multi-bodies.  We still use it out of habit. Recall that we used to cut away all the excess material to isolate the part we were after. I wanted to see if there were tools available to better complete the process, in case there was something we were missing.

However, given the amount of steps and the messyness of the workflow, I have to admit you are right. This is not the best approach. Therefor, in the future we will use multi-bodies to push out these parts.

Just wanted to see if  there was more than one way to skin this cat.

With that, I thank everone for their inputs and declare the case solved !

Message 11 of 11
chachaman

Hello JD,

The case is not quite solved yet.

If I try your suggestion of creating multibodies for each panel. I am not able to create hole features the way I want to.

Look at the  attached file. Why don't the 4 holes go through all the panel bodies, the way I intend them to do so?

In order to use multibodies, I need this capability.

Thx again.

--------------------------------------------------------------RESOLVED------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEVERMIND ! ( I just dicovered when creating holes you must designate the solids to be affacted by this feature.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report