Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motors in assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Ray_H
765 Views, 7 Replies

motors in assemblies

A general question: When place a pump/motor in assemblies do you build you motors/pumps with solid parts.Do you include all the internals parts or model it as a solid or solid parts and then assemble the motor/pump?

Thank you

RH

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
admaiora
in reply to: Ray_H

You can consider a part as an indivisible component in your project, or that can be consider unique in your BOM.

Then you can have subassemblies that contains parts or other subassemblies.

You can consider a subassembly as a group of parts/subassemblies that have a conceptual meaning being togheter.

Then you can have difefrent modeling strategies  (from the bottom to the up,  or from the top to the down😞

-modeling every single parts and then assemble them

-or you can model the "container", for example a pump, and then fill it with other parts. using multibody too, for example

-mix startegies

Choosing the right strategy depends on your design

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 8
Ray_H
in reply to: admaiora

I want to place  motors/pumps in an assembly to demonstrate its position and type....

Message 4 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: Ray_H

Download it from the manufacturer.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

Typically one would only include what they need.. If you aren't the pump manufacturer then I see no point in including internals,etc.. just what your company needs.. example.. just the output/input flanges/pump body so you can get the mating and check for any clearance issues. 

If I was modeling it up from a drawing I would only do a single part file for it and not take the time to make an assembly unless I really needed it for some other reason. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
hfds006
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have to agree with mcgyvr on this one. Only model as much as you need, ie. the outside profile so you can determine that you have the needed fit and clearance around the motor. We would typically model a motor as a single piece using a CAD file or dimensional data from the supplier or using physical dimensions taken from an actual part.

One thing to keep in mind is that your single piece model may be significantly heavier than the actual part. You can compensate for that by adjusting the material properties or modeling an internal void into the model to obtain the proper weight.

Message 7 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: hfds006

hfds006 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that your single piece model may be significantly heavier than the actual part. You can compensate for that by adjusting the material properties or modeling an internal void into the model to obtain the proper weight.

This.

One caution, though - if you just adjust the material properties to get the right weight output, you may wind up with your CG in the wrong place.  This may or may not be an issue for you.  If you're designing a stationary land-based object, probably not a problem.  If you're designing something that goes on a boat or an airplane ... then you likely have a problem.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
hfds006
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Good point, we have had cases where we manipulated a model to get the CG in the proper location.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report