Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

metric and imperial problems in sketches

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
a.s.ranger
686 Views, 6 Replies

metric and imperial problems in sketches

Ok, i know this has been gone over a million times. 

why is it, that when i create a metric part in inventor 2013 using a standard(mm).ipt metric style, and everything works perfectly in the 3D model, but when i create a sketch, it automatically assumes i want the sketch to be inches - and there is no simple way to convert it without building a confusing metric style?

it should seriously be as easy as a check box in a properties tab or something. for the life of me i can not figure out how to force this model to have metric measurements in the sketch.

why is this so hard?

if i have a friend in switzerland where they use metric, why cant i quickly and easily (mind you, modifying a style is not quick or easy for somone who has not already done it) change a drawing from imperial to meteric?

sorry. im just really frustrated right now.

😞

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: a.s.ranger

@a.s.ranger wrote:

... using a standard(mm).ipt metric style, ... but when i create a sketch, it automatically assumes i want the sketch to be inches ...

.... change a drawing from imperial to meteric?

I am completely confused by your problem description.

You seen to be describing two different problems.

The only way your description makes any sense to me is if I change the, "when I create a sketch" to "when I create a drawing" or "when I create a sketch in the drawing environment".

Then if I assume you are really referring ONLY to the drawing environment and NOT the modeling environment, I have to ask - do you want your drawing to be ONLY metric or is your real problem description, "I normally work with inch units 2D drawings but need an easy way to convert these to metric units 2D drawings for communication with friend in Switzerland."

Sketches are normally created only in the 3D modeling (*.ipt) files, not in drawing files (*.idw or *.dwg), except for special circumstances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
rdyson

Simplest would be if you started you dwg / idw with a metric template instead of an imperial one

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 7
a.s.ranger
in reply to: rdyson

what is the difference in using STANDARD(MM).IPT and STANDARD(MM).IAM?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7j_M2vo5L5A/U24P4n5MfmI/AAAAAAAAOYM/a-47wgZzykk/w873-h530-no/1.gi...
Message 5 of 7
a.s.ranger
in reply to: JDMather

i guess what i mean is, when i create a 3D model using a metric template (ie: standard(mm).ipt), why then does it use imperial when i use that 3D model in the 2D drafting enviornment?

and if i need to then send this metric drawing (2D) out as a imperial drawing (2D) for a client that does not use metric (or vice versa), why is it so dificult to change the units? at least they should have included a style that is metric? all the tutorials i am seeing are telling me to make a NEW style by copying the standard style - and making the units metric? but i cant seem to get anything like this to work.

i have a metric 3D model

i have an imerial 2D draft

i want a metric 2D draft.

:'(

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am very sorry to hear your frustration. But, I cannot seem to reproduce the behavior. There must be something not set right. Could you post a simple example dataset (ipt and idw) exhibiting the behavior? I would like to take a look and understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
blair

You are confusing the modeling environment and drawing environment. The templates you are showing are for the modeling environment. This will be the default unit of measure when you are working on developing your 3D model. When you go to create the actual 2D drawing you have the choise of which 2D Drawing environment you wish to use in your views.

How to politly put it, Inventor is smart enough to know that it has a metric MM model and that you have requested to use a drawing that is Imperial. It will do the math to convert the MM 3D model to Imperial for your 2D drawing. This should have been convered in your first initial training.

The following link to the AutoDesk Chronicle website shows the creation of metric 3D model and the outcome of the 2D drawing depending on which 2D Drawing Template you use.

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/d3bcc840-56c6-4752-a7b9-c13873c017a0

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report