Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

materials.xml

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ronhennon5737
6113 Views, 7 Replies

materials.xml

I've added new materials to a part using the style and standard editor. How do I get these into the materials .xml file in the vault so other users can use them?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

On the manage tab there is a "SAVE" option.  this will copy the styles to the library.

The .xml file is saved in the DESIGN DATA folder...(check project file (.ipj) and see where this is.  The file you want is the material.xml.

Another option: A better and more common method is to add the style to your template. 

After you SAVE (as noted above) you can go into your templates and select UPDATE...this will pull them from the library into your template., or model.

...also In the .ipj file....make the design data paths the same for all.  EG, in our company the design data folder is on the network...and our .ipj file points to this design data folder.

Message 3 of 8

I'm running 2009 and don't see a manage tab. Also, where do I select update?

Message 4 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: ronhennon5737

Look in the Format menu, the same place you find the Styles Editor.  If you are using a Styles Library, you do not need to bother adding the styles to your templates-- all the styles in the library are available whenever you need them, and they take precedence over local styles if there is a conflict.  It also saves a little bit of file size, since the only styles stored in your file are the ones that you have pulled in from the library by making them active.

If you only have one style library, then set the location in Application Options (Files tab).  If you have different libraries for different projects, then set the location in the project (.ipj) file, which overrides the App Options location.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 8
maxstel
in reply to: SBix26

file materials.xml not longer exist and not support in inventor 2013.. Now use the Autodesk standard Protein format and have the following file extension: .adsklib

Message 6 of 8
tlebrun
in reply to: ronhennon5737

"I've added new materials to a part using the style and standard editor. How do I get these into the materials .xml file in the vault so other users can use them?"

BUMP!!!!

I'm in the same boat, but lost.

"On the manage tab there is a "SAVE" option.  this will copy the styles to the library."

Save button is grayed out.  When I click "Styles Editor" within Styles and Standards (Manage), the Library is "Read Only"  Making the design data a project folder doesn't help.  The design data folder (shared on the network) is not read-only

"Look in the Format menu, the same place you find the Styles Editor."

There is no "format menu" (using 2012)

Message 7 of 8
tlebrun
in reply to: tlebrun

OK, I found the option in Projects for "Use Style Library" = Read-Write  (change from read only)

Now, when I attempt to save i get this:

"Save Style to Library: problems encountered while excuting this command"

*Cannot save XML file:f:\Inventor2012\Design Data\xxxxxxxxxxx.xml (Access is denied)

Message 8 of 8
tlebrun
in reply to: tlebrun

OK, almost there.

Coppied the entire design data folder to my desktop.

Change design data path to desktop (app options)

now I can add materials and save!

UGG!

*attemtping to rename a material, creates a new material with the new name, and the material I wanted to rename is still there with the old name.

* "purge style" doesn't work.

*cant delete materials

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report