Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locking or fixing view positions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
elise_moss
1756 Views, 5 Replies

locking or fixing view positions

Is there a way to lock or pin views into place on an idw/drawing?  I know that wasn't available in previous releases, but I wanted to check if that feature had been added yet.

thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: elise_moss

Does changing view justification (edit view, Display Options tab) from Centered to Fixed do what you want?  I haven't used it myself, but if I understand correctly, Centered keeps the view center anchored wherever the view was dropped (allowing the items in the view to float whenever components/features are added or removed); Fixed means that the geometry in the view stays where it was dropped (relative to the origin, I'm assuming) and the view grows or shrinks asymmetrically.

Message 3 of 6
elise_moss
in reply to: SBix26

No, that doesn't work.  I am looking for something similar to AutoCAD where you can lock a view and the position won't move.   SolidWorks also allows you to pin a view into position on a sheet, so it doesn't accidentally shift while you are placing annotations.  Many times I have opened an Inventor drawing and for some reason the views have shifted (maybe because features have been modified), and I then have to re-attach a bunch of notes and annotations.  It is very tiresome and wouldn't happen if the views could be fixed in place.

The Centered/Fixed option does not prevent the user from moving or re-positioning the view.

thanks anyway,

elise

Message 4 of 6
jwatsonHVJTG

Has there been a solution for this yet?

This drives me nuts constantly!

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, no. I am not aware of a way to lock the view direction. It can be changed. Is it because you want to look at a fixed scope of a model? If yes, you should change the view justification option. Edit the view -> Display Options -> View Justification -> Fixed. And, also go to Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> View Justification -> Fixed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
MIRKO_G
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

locking the position of the views would also be useful for creating schematic drawings like the ones attached.
Make sure that the position of the views are not mistakenly moved.

Autodesk Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor 2018 Certified Professional
Autodesk Certified Instructor - Gold

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report