Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just a sketch

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
194 Views, 5 Replies

just a sketch

So simple, but so hard. I have a simple track layout: two straight line segments and three tangent arcs.

How do I generate a drawing on a standard border so I can get vendor quotes? All I get is an eror message "Can not create drawing from empty model documents" What is that supposed to mean. It is 0130 in the morning and all I need is a cartoon. Ugh! I could have done this faster with ink on vellum (remember that?). What am I missing? I've done hundreds of complex parts and assemblies with mindless drawings, some with schematic sketches imbedded.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can't place models without solid geometry in an IDW. It's been requested for sketches and surface models but nothing so far. Extrude your sketch as a surface, for example, then thicken it something minimal. -- Rui "dkhedstrom" wrote in message news:25258920.1094106957308.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > So simple, but so hard. I have a simple track layout: two straight line segments and three tangent arcs. > > How do I generate a drawing on a standard border so I can get vendor quotes? All I get is an eror message "Can not create drawing from empty model documents" What is that supposed to mean. It is 0130 in the morning and all I need is a cartoon. Ugh! I could have done this faster with ink on vellum (remember that?). What am I missing? I've done hundreds of complex parts and assemblies with mindless drawings, some with schematic sketches imbedded.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Do you have Autocad ? If not, you could open the idw and create a sketch directly in the idw Regards, Jorgen
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Here is your drawing. Took about 1 minute to create. Change the ipt and the idw will follow.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Played with it some more and discovered that even deleting the dummy extrusion in the ipt does not crash the idw. The view boundary did get smaller though so you have to look for it as it doesn't match the size of the sketch. This little experiment leads me to believe that it should be easy to allow idw of sketches with no solids. But to be on the safe side I think I would just hide the dummy lines like I did in the first example.
J.D.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks, for all the assistance, gentlemen. The procedure is somewhat straight forward, but still seema a bit querky. Hope I can return the favor soon.
DKH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report