Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipt Design View rep for multi-body parts

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
617 Views, 3 Replies

ipt Design View rep for multi-body parts

I just watched the video in Wiki Help on Part View Representations.  The narrator says that part VRs functions much like VR in assemblies.  He then shows an example of placing a view of a multi-body part on a sheet.  From the looks of it, this looks exactly like an assembly. For this drawing to be useful in a working environment, it also needs a parts list.

The video also placed views of two different parts on the same sheet just by selecting the proper view rep from the multi-body part. That looks nice, but I dont see the usefulness in this because it is not complete.

I am trying to figure how part view rep is useful.  Unless the part VR controls the state of features (suppressed or unsuppressed), it is just eye candy.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeanchile
in reply to: karthur1

I used a part view representation only once and it was for use in modeling a complex multi-body part. I never placed in on a drawing though because of the issues you mentioned above. I wrote the solids out to part files and an assembly. It was helpful for modeling though I can't think of a reason for use in documentation though. Perhaps instead of using the weldment documentation tools you can do this (though I don't necessarily see why)?
Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: jeanchile

One situation where this might be useful is in documenting a progression of fabrication steps.  You can pattern one solid to a new solid, add features, pattern that to another solid, add new features.... So you could have a drawing, or series of drawings, with each step of the progression presented as a VR.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

Hi kathur1

i think Solid Bodies they are saving me from making extra Derived Assembly Parts. .

. . Surely the Solid Bodies are in too prominent a position for the function to be eye candy. .

. . im still smiling at the concept

Have u found anything else.

MatB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report