Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ipt Custom iProperties to .idw Title Block

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
MikeRid
6287 Views, 12 Replies

.ipt Custom iProperties to .idw Title Block

Inventor 2013

If I have created an .ipt template with custom iProperties is there a way to import that information into an .idw’s title block after the part is added to the drawing? My current set up imports information from the default iProperties fields but I would like to set it up to import from the part’s custom iProperties fields that I have created. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: MikeRid

Hi michaelridolfo,

There's a bit of a trick to it:

• Place the model with your custom iProperties in the drawing.
  • Then edit the titleblock.
  • Right-click on a text field and choose Edit Text or create a new test field.
  • Use the Type pulldown and set it to Custom Properties - Model.
  • Choose a custom property from the Property pull down.
  • Then use the X-> button to add the property to the text field.

The trick is that you need to have the model on the sheet before Custom Properties - Model will show up in the list. Once you have this all set up in the title block you can delete the view of the model and save the drawing as your drawing template, so this will be set up in all new drawings. For existing drawings you can copy and past the titleblock into them, or use the Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard to batch replace the title block.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 13
japike

When you edit your title block definition, you can add custom iproperties by using the "Type"  and "Property" drop downs when placing the text. First, select "Custom Properties - Model" from the Type drop down. Then select which custom property from the "Properties" drop down.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 13
mpatchus

Simply edit your title block definition to bring in the properties that you wish to display.

For the type select CUSTOM PROPERTIES - Model, and then select the property you wish tto display.

Custom Properties.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 13
mpatchus
in reply to: mpatchus

you guys obviously type faster than I do!   LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 13
MikeRid
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I was missing the step of putting the custom .ipt file in the .iwd first.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
qall
in reply to: mpatchus

@mpatchus wrote:

Simply edit your title block definition to bring in the properties that you wish to display.

For the type select CUSTOM PROPERTIES - Model, and then select the property you wish tto display.

Custom Properties.JPG

@mpatchus

I do not see Custom properties-model in the drop-down menu of the text box, but Custom properties-drawing do exist.

Using IN2014

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
smilinger

You can import additional custom properties here:

2018-02-07_16-56-13.png

Message 9 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: qall

Have you placed at least one view of the model in the drawing?  If you have and the custom properties still aren't available, please post your files here so somebody can figure out what's happening.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.3
Windows 7 SP1

Message 10 of 13
qall
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26@smilinger

Thanks, yes properties come up when the part is placed in drawing etc, but not really preferred as it requires the drafter to change the standard title box text/properties each time creating a drawing, just a quality measure.

But it works that way if not many drawings are to be created.

Message 11 of 13
mpatchus
in reply to: qall

Can you use one of the standard iProperty fields instead of a custom iProperty?

If not, if you define the text field in the title block as described previously, and add that title block to your drawing template, the custom fields will update in the title block anytime a part/model is used that contains that custom iProperty.

(PROVIDED that the custom iProperty name is an exact match.)

If a part is used in the drawing that does not contain that custom iProperty, the text will be blank.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 12 of 13
krancuretDX4VB
in reply to: smilinger

@smilinger showed the location of the document setting, in idw files, that allows custom iproperties to be copied from the first model placed, by choosing <Select Document>. For some reason, only 1 of the 3 custom iproperties that I'm trying to put in my ipt templates are getting copied into the idw file after placement. How do I get all three to copy over?

Message 13 of 13

Hi! I took a quick look at the files. I think I know where the problem is. In the part template, there are three custom iProperties: "Heat Treat", "Surface Treatment", and "Part Similar." In the drawing titleblock, only the first two are linked to Model. "Part Similar" is linked to the drawing instead. Please edit it and change it accordingly.

Another workflow you could consider is to link the model properties to the drawing. Open a drawing template or a draw file -> Tools -> Doc Settings -> Drawing -> Copy Model iProperties. After that, the model source iProperties will be populated to the drawing iProperties.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report