Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2013 how to create this picture

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
DaleDavis3738
1401 Views, 14 Replies

inventor 2013 how to create this picture

I am trying to redo some prints and I need some help on how to create the attached picture.

I have tried coil but that did not work.

Thanks

Dale

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: DaleDavis3738

If you look carefully, you can tell that whoever modeled the part in the picture just fudged it. That's not actually a coil, it's just a bunch of concentric circles.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
If you look carefully, you can tell that whoever modeled the part in the picture just fudged it. That's not actually a coil, it's just a bunch of concentric circles.

yep..x2

but coil (with spiral chosen as the type in the coil size section) works just fine..

Simple sketch the cross section of the strap then use coil to create the spiral and then add your ends/holes as needed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 15
JDMather

It could be created (correctly) in Inventor using the Coil command and curve driven pattern (I would only create the holes that can actually be seen.

Attach your Coil feature attempt here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 15

Can you expand on what you mean by a curve driven pattern?

Dale Davis
Vice-President

Dundee Manufacturing Company
107 Fairchild Drive
Po Box 143
Dundee Mi. 48131

734-529-2540 phone
734-529-3583 fax
ddavis@dundeemfg.com

This message and any attached files may contain confidential information and are intended solely for the message recipient. If you are not the message recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version
Message 6 of 15
JDMather

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf  pg24

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

If you attach your ipt file here - I can demonstrate using your geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 15

I have not tried to create any feature patterns on coiled surfaces on any recent releases  so I thought that recreating your drawing might be fun.  It was a little more challenging than I thought it would be but here it is.   If you would like I will email you the .ipt but it does have like 700 extrusions in it.

Yours truly,

Carl T.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 15
graemev
in reply to: freegoodkharma

Nice job!  To eliminate the bazillion extrusions, why not supress all those instances not seen in the middle?

P.S.  Nitpicker's note: you forgot the anchoring tab in the center. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
JDMather

@freegoodkharma wrote:

... but it does have like 700 extrusions in it.

Yours truly,

Carl T.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

I got 351? Smiley Very Happy  You have more coils than the original?

If you roll up the EOP and zip is it still over 1.5Meg?

(if so, wait a couple of days to give the OP a chance to try arriving at solution)

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
DaleDavis3738
in reply to: JDMather

ok I have manage to create the coil using the sprial .. mad at myself for not figuring that out.

putting the holes in is know seems to be tricky.

Carl.. can you email me the ipt file?  coil strap.jpg

Message 11 of 15

Sure but, I am having problems zipping the file and it exceeds the limits of this forum and I have received a (flooding) message. 

To make an approximation of your drawing, what I had was to orphan, **** and overshoot the extrusions because of the increasing radius of the coil. The place Hole feature would not work!

If you would like to add me to your Drop box my email is freegoodkharma@yahoo.com or send me one or yours.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 12 of 15

Perhaps I do not need no stinking WinZip!  I will try again.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 13 of 15

carl

I tried to open it but I am running 2013 maybe it was saved in newer format?

Thanks

Dale

Message 14 of 15

I am sorry I miss understood your post.  I am using Inventor 14 and I see no way to save to an earlier format.  I am sure that you can accomplish the part with your current version.  The hard part is the sweep on the spiral.  Make the smaller extrusion on the end of the spiral then array, then make the larger extrusion on top of the other then array.  I just ignore the iErrors.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

Message 15 of 15
JDMather

@freegoodkharma wrote:
I just ignore the iErrors.

Yours truly,

Carl T.

If you had made the smaller circle at that end before the large circle should not get the error.

(the error is easily eliminated by using Extrusion3 for Rectangular Pattern11 rather then the unecessary duplicate hole, and delete that "hole")  (Extrusion6 could also be eliminated as it is a duplication, but you have other depenancies now that will cause error if deleted.)

I would have Coil a single line as a Surface body and Thicken rather than create a 3D sketch spiral, rectangle and Sweep.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report