Inventor General

Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (1,415 Views)

inventor 2012 Unfold sheet metal

1415 Views, 6 Replies
09-12-2012 05:36 AM

I have never used the unfold command before. It seemed simple enough, draw the part, extrude, turn into sheet metal, set defaults and unfold to make a flat pattern. What am I doing wrong? It will not let me unfold. The dialog box comes up, but will not allow me to pick a flat surface or bends....

*Expert Elite*
Message 2 of 7 (1,411 Views)

Re: inventor 2012 Unfold sheet metal

09-12-2012 05:42 AM in reply to: nmetzger

First thing you are doing wrong is using Extrude rather than one of the sheet metal tools.

Extrude is probably fine as long as you follow sheet metal rules (constant thickness, bends and rips).

Second possible mistake is you haven't set your sheet metal style to the same thickness as your extrusion, but you say you have set the defaults - so maybe we can rule that one out.

I'm betting constant thickness or missing bends.

Actually Unfold is not how you create a Flat Pattern.

Unfold/Refold is used to add features that are difficult to do in a folded state.

Create Flat Pattern is for, well, creating flat patterns.

Attach the file here and erase all doubt.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (1,403 Views)

09-12-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: JDMather

I drew this part in Inventor 2012 and extruded. Set material default to mild steel. Default K factor. Material thickness is .1875, but I believe it defaulted to .2 - not sure why it would not let me change that.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
Message 4 of 7 (1,400 Views)

09-12-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: nmetzger

nmetzger wrote:
 Material thickness is .1875, but I believe it defaulted to .2 - not sure why it would not let me change that.

Did you figure out how to change it?
Did you get this figured out?

Attach the file here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Employee
Message 5 of 7 (1,363 Views)

09-12-2012 03:03 PM in reply to: nmetzger

Hi! To change the thickness, simply go to Sheet Metal Defaults -> either click on the pencil button at the top or uncheck "Use Thickness from Rule."

To create a successful unfold feature, the sheet metal body thickness has to be consistent with the setting. Please let me know if it works for you. If not, please attach the file here or send it to me.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7 (1,337 Views)

09-13-2012 08:09 AM in reply to: nmetzger

If you tell Sheet Metal Defaults that the thickness is .062 and the model thickness is .06200005, the model will not unfold.The thickness of the material in Sheet Metal Defaults must match the thickness of the model exactly. The only way to ensure this is to uncheck "use thickness from rule", delete the thickness, click the arrow, click the measure command, and click any thickness line on the model. The true thickness should appear in the box and you can now smash that sucker flat.

Regards,

Tomas

Contributor
Message 7 of 7 (1,336 Views)

09-13-2012 08:13 AM in reply to: tmiddendorf
Thanks! That helped! Nichole Metzger Manufacturing Engineer Valco Industries 625 Burt Street Springfield, Ohio 45505 937-399-7400

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube