Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2011 will not give me an angle dim

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
none1
1282 Views, 23 Replies

inventor 2011 will not give me an angle dim

Is there any way of telling inventor NO NOT LINEAR, ANGULAR.

I just want to create an angle dim between two sketchs lines I have created.  The only option it gives me is verrtical, horizontal or aligned.  NEED A SIMPLE ANGLE DIMENSION.  Should take more than 2-3 seconds, but after ten minutes I have over 60 linear dims that are vertical, horizontal or aligned.

Another question since inventor spits out linear dims to begin with, why not have an angular option on the right click?   Is there an LOGICAL reason why this option does not ALREADY exist?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mpatchus
in reply to: none1

If those are your only options, then the two lines are parallel and an angular dimension is not possible.

Inventor will always apply an angular dimension when two lines are selected that are not parallel.

Make sure you are dimensioning the lines, and not POINTS on the lines.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 24
none1
in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks Mike, but i have $10,000 that says these two lines are 72.0 degrees apart, since that is how they were created in Sketch (and in no way parallel).   If you look at your hand and spead your thumb and index finger apart that is about the angle that these 2 lines are at.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

Can you post the file?

Message 5 of 24
none1
in reply to: Anonymous

Not legally without written permission! This is not worth going to jail over.  This must be another one of the many random bugs that comes each time a software updates on my pc.  Sometimes inventor and acad will not even reconize an intersection.

Am I the only person on these groups that works with proprietary rights protected material?

Message 6 of 24
none1

May have found the problem, the two lines are not in the same sketch.  Eventhough that should not make a difference, I am going to combine into 1 sketch to see if that allows me to create an angular dim.

Message 7 of 24
none1

Sure enough inventor did not like that fact that the two lines were not in the same sketch.  Not sure why that would mater except for that fact that software writting is not what it used to be.

Is this a commonly known rule for inventor?

Message 8 of 24
nannerdw

If you want to include sketch or model geometry from outside the sketch, you have to use the "Project Geometry" command.  Use this comand sparingly, though, since any references to deleted geometry will become broken and have to be manually redefined.

Message 9 of 24
none1

Thank you, I did forget to add that the sketch(s) were not created in part mode.  The sketches  with the issue were in the drawing, angle dims needed to be created to fully explain all geometry. The dimensioning problem was from annotate menu (so the sketches were closed or finished) when trying to dimension the sketches this is where the issue occured.

So this issue was with the sketches created on the drawing, not the modeling sketches.  Important difference.

Message 10 of 24
SBix26

Seems to work as you would expect in 2013.  General Dimension tool, used on two lines created in different sketches (on the same view), gives an angle dimension.

Message 11 of 24
rjezuit
in reply to: SBix26

Works in 2012. Both in the same sketch, and different sketches.The only time I get linear is while picking points (midpoint) of the lines. 

Message 12 of 24
none1

Isn't it suppose to work that way? Or is this new for inventor?

Message 13 of 24
SBix26

This also works in 2011 (the earliest version I have installed).

Procedure:

• Create view sketch, place line, exit sketch
  • Create another view sketch, place line, exit sketch
  • Choose General Dimension tool
  • Pick one line (line highlights), pick other line, angle dimension results.

If you are picking points instead of lines, you'll get a linear dimension, of course.  If you can't post this drawing, can you make one that isn't sensitive and post that?  I suspect it's something you're doing (or not doing) without realizing it, but until we can verify that with a specific file we won't know for sure.

Message 14 of 24
none1
in reply to: rjezuit

Well first off I am not new to inventor or CAD.  I have created angle dims in inventor dwgs over 100 times.  Yesterday was the first time that I could not get an angle dim to appear.  I had no problem getting angle dims on all of the angle lines that were in the same drawing sketch.  This was the case in each of the two sketches that were created in inventor DWG.   4 lines in the 1st sketch and 2 lines in the 2nd.  I could easily get angle dims when I picked the lines that were created in the same sketch.  I was never able to get the 72 degree dim until I added the lines to the 1st sketch.  Then it was a done deal. 

I did try over 70 times and received 70 different linear dims.  This is why I ask CAN YOU TELL INVENTOR NO NOT LINEAR, ANGULAR.

The simple answer to my question would have been     NO.

I never really receive a sane answer to my question.  Meaning a answer that actually addresses my question.

As far as this group goes i have ask 4 different questions on this group and have received zero answers to my questions.

So you guys are 0 & 4 or batting a flat zero.

What I do seem to get is alot of you do not know what your are doing.

If anyone here believes that I am making this up or do not know what i am doing then put your money where you mouth is.

I have $10,000 to wager everyone on this group separately (even if it is 100,000 people) that this is a true statement and can get sworn affidavids to validate this problem, as I did pull others whom use inventor to see what the problem was. No one understood what was going on.

AGAIN  every 1-3 weeks on my PC inventor 2011 changes in the way it works.  THIS IS DUE TO POOR SOFTWARE WRITTING and the constant updates that all of these softwares do each week.  SO INVENTOR IS NOT A STABLE SOFTWARE.  OTHERWISE IT WOULD STAY STATIC.  Meaning that it would not change from week to week.

SOMETIMES in modeling sketch INVENTOR & also in AutoCAD WILL NOT AGKNOWLEDGE an intersection of 2 lines or a line and a circle.  Then next week it is working properly again.  This is a sign tat even the base of the software is unstable.

It may work on your pc, but my PC has lots of company software that updates each week.  I suspect that this is a loop-hole in the software. 

I would really not like to see anymore negative replys to my questions.  If you cannot handle the truth then you need to seek professional consulting.  Not insult me.  That is called projection which means that you mind is working properly, which is also called "abnormal behavior".

I am not the problem, I'm just bring my inventor problems here because that is what I though this group was for.

Please let me know if this is not the place to bring inventor problems too?

Hope you have a nice day, and and that all of you wager me in my challenge, I could use the money! 

Message 15 of 24
none1

I correction if I may:

Projection means that your mind is NOT working properly.  This is called "abnormal behavior", projecting your anger from something or someone that you are afraid to address onto something or someone that has nothing to do with your original anger issue.  Psy 101   Much if not most domestic violence is cause from projection. Your afraid to hit your boss but not your spouse of children. 

Message 16 of 24
ampster402

not here to read rants.

Good luck in your future quests.

Message 17 of 24
SBix26

Nobody here can possibly figure out what's going on without files that demonstrate the issue.  There is no way in Inventor to switch from linear to angular when dimensioning between two lines because there is no singular linear dimension between non-parallel lines.  This should never occur because it's mathematically impossible, and nobody that reads the forum has ever experienced this, apparently.  You may have discovered a unique bug in the software, or there may be something "wrong" or unique with your file.  No answers without a file to look at.  Good luck.

Message 18 of 24
nannerdw

Every single response has been an attempt to replicate the issue.  Your above rant is completely unwarranted, and irrelevant to the discussion.

Now, going back on topic, you only need to provide a file which isolates the issue.  If you can remove everything except for the two lines in question, this will be enough for us to determine whether the problem is a caused by your drawing methods, a bug in your software, or a bug in Inventor as a whole.

Also, you said that the two lines to be dimensioned are in separate sketches in the drawing (.idw) environment.

As sbixler stated in a previous post, the two sketches must have been created within the same viewport, or both on the layout iteself outside of any viewports.  Please confirm whether this is the case.

Message 19 of 24
none1
in reply to: rjezuit

I didn't come here to be insulted.  I came here to ask a question, and I was insulted by multiple members for asking that question. In my opinion stating facts is not a rant it is telling the truth. 

Message 20 of 24
none1
in reply to: ampster402

I didn't come here to be insulted.  Came here to ask a question about inventor, which is what I thought this fourm was for.  In my opinion stating the facts is not a rant it is the truth!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report