Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

invalid axis/origin

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
cadman777
1536 Views, 21 Replies

invalid axis/origin

this question arises out of a persistent problem that i've encountered over the years of using inventor.
i'm trying to prevent 'redefining' the sketch in order to get it to not be broken after a part change.
has anybody had this problem and found and quick a simple solution to it?
here's what happens:
1. a plate part is created with all the cutouts on it;
2. a new part is created with said plate as a derived component inside of it;
3. a sketch is created that uses the derived component's features as outlines to define cut areas;
4. the desired area is cut away and the remainder constitutes the desired part;
5. other parts are created this same way, only the rest of the plate is parted-out such that each part, when constrained together with all the othe derived parts in the configuration of the original part, comprise the original part, yet in pieces, like a puzzle.
6. the original plate areas get modified after the fact, due to change orders by the customer;
7. the derived parts all end up with the cutting sketch (only one cutting sketch per file) broken;
8. the error from the Sketch Doctor is this, "invalid axis/origin"
9. although I open the cutting sketch and re-assign the axis/origin to another point on the part, the broken sketch never gets fixed, no matter where I re-assign the origin on the part.
CAN I reattach the origin like that? If not, then how can I do this so that I don't have to REDEFINE the sketch on the original surface of the derived part?
I have ALWAYS had to REDEFINE the sketch in order to fix the broken axis/origin.
When that is done, the ENTIRE DOWN-STREAM set of features gets BROKEN.
The result is a TIME-CONSUMING repair on the part.
Does anybody have a quick and easy way to fix this "invalid axis/origin" problem on sketches in derived parts?
... Chris Edited by: cadman777 on Jul 30, 2009 9:18 AM
... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
NeilClasby75
in reply to: cadman777

lol

I think it would be really interesting to do a poll on how many Inventor users have OCD! 🙂

My bet is 92.375% ±0.125 !!! 🙂
Message 22 of 22
IdealID
in reply to: cadman777

Here is the solution...

Click   edit axis/origin command  

Select the origin on the sketch

Right click and click  ''select other''

Then click the same origin again...

You'll see the problem fixed...Have a nice day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report