Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting sketch symbol problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
av8r
246 Views, 2 Replies

inserting sketch symbol problem

There are two ways to insert a sketch symbol

1. Click on symbol in the browser and insert

2. expand the sketch symbol + in the browser and RMB on the symbol you want and insert.

The problem is that these two methods give very different results. I have a symbol for a revision block with my own insert and connection points. If I use method 1 the connection points do not work. If I use method 2 it works fine.
I also have a "part block" this symbol has info on each part similar to a parts list. We use this so we can have multiple parts detailed on 1 sheet. I attach the symbol to an extra view of the parts and change the scale to somthing small to hide the view. If I use method 1 the symbol does not reflect the properties of the view that it is attached to. The properties of the symbol reflect the first view. If I use method 2 this works fine.

I am wondering why Autodesk would elect to have one entity act differently depending on the method of inserting the symbol.
Has anyone else seen this? Does it bother anyone else or am I just crazy?

Kevin
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: av8r

From a earlier post by Bill Bogan

The two methods for placing symbols are...

1) Using the icon in the panel bar for symbols allows you to place a symbol with/without a
leader, rotation, and/or scale. Ultimately this will include mirror as well.

2) Select the symbol in the drawing resource browser area, right click and choose Insert.
This places a symbol instance that cannot have a leader, rotate, or scale.

The two methods do not work the same because there were different requirements that drove
their implementation. The first incarnation being #2 above. The newer symbol functionality
(#1) is the same symbol as #2 but wrapped with additional code to make it handle to meet
the requirements for leaders/rotation/scale. Consolidating their behavior into one symbol
type with the capability that both have requires some work to protect the legacy data.
That is not to say it cannot/will not be done, just that there are issues in combining the
two. The last thing anyone wants is for their drawing to "automatically change" on them
when they open it up in a new release. (Trust me on that one!!!)

It's a known issue and one that is sure to be resolved at some point.

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"av8r" wrote in message news:f137df2.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> There are two ways to insert a sketch symbol
Message 3 of 3
av8r
in reply to: av8r

Thanks for the reply, I hope it is resolved in sp2 or at least R7.
I am setting the drawing format and I am trying to figure what works now and what will be fixed in the near future. Once we start there is no turning back.

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report