Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrect mass for assembly with levels of detail

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
darrinlindblom3752
1252 Views, 5 Replies

incorrect mass for assembly with levels of detail

I have an assembly file in which I have created several levels of detail.  My intent was to suppress specific parts in the assembly (for views in the idw and to help calculate the weight of the assembly).

I have noticed that the mass is incorrect for the level of detail that I want calculated.  I determined this after creating a new assembly and deleting all parts that were not used in this level of detail.  And, by viewing all parts individually and adding them up by hand.

All parts in the assembly have the correct density.  I have selected to calculate the mass properties of the active level of detail when updating.

My questions:  Am I correct in assuming that the assembly will caculate only the parts that are not suppressed?  Or, am I thinking of it wrong?  Is this particular assembly messed up?  I haven't noticed this before and am now concerned that my weights have been incorrect.

My solution to use right now is to create a new assembly just for figuring out the weight.  I think there is a better way.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

See

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Calculating-Mass-for-various-Levels-of-Detail/m-p/36...

for a possible solution.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 6

Looks like he solved his problem the same way I have been, by creating a new assembly.

I believe that the mass is being calculated including suppressed parts, or just incorrectly.

Is there a better solution?  Should the assembly be calculating the mass for only parts that are not suppressed?

Message 4 of 6

Is your mass calculation prompt suppressed as per the linked thread?

As I read the response from jakefowler, this should work as long as you tell IV to calculate the mass with the current LOD. If the prompt is suppressed, you don't get the chance to tell IV what you want.

What version of IV are you using?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 6

Sorry.  I am using Inventror 2012.

The prompt is not suppressed.  I can calculate the mass for the master LOD and get 24,000 lb, caculate the mass for the LOD that I select  and get 17,000 lb, and then cacludate the mass for the new assembly that has everything not involved in the LOD deleted and get 15,800 lb.

The mass should be the same for the LOD that I select and the new assembly.  But they are not.

Message 6 of 6

problem solved.  There were parts in my assembly that were burried in an array that were not suppressed.  I thought that they were. I need to look at all the parts closer next time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report