Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

illustrator export - inventor import

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
PetraM
8972 Views, 12 Replies

illustrator export - inventor import

Is it possible to import curves from illustrator or any other similar program as curves in inventor?

I want to emboss a logo of a company. I've got it as outlines in illustrator.

I really don't want to import a .bmp file into a sketch and draw over it.

Thank you for your help,
Petra
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: PetraM

Will Illustrator export a DXF or DWG? If so, you could import vector geometry. PetraM wrote: >Is it possible to import curves from illustrator or any other similar program as curves in inventor? > >I want to emboss a logo of a company. I've got it as outlines in illustrator. > >I really don't want to import a .bmp file into a sketch and draw over it. > >Thank you for your help, >Petra > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

I'd bet that illustrator could push out WMF which you could import into Acad then dump the DWG into a sketch in IV. QBZ "PetraM" wrote in message news:20853208.1100430855753.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is it possible to import curves from illustrator or any other similar program as curves in inventor? > > I want to emboss a logo of a company. I've got it as outlines in illustrator. > > I really don't want to import a .bmp file into a sketch and draw over it. > > Thank you for your help, > Petra
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

cbliss wrote: > Will Illustrator export a DXF or DWG? If so, you could import vector > geometry. Illustrator does indeed export as dxf and dwg.
Message 5 of 13
PetraM

Illustrator indeed does export DWG and DXF files but when I import them into inventor (or by file-open or by importing them directly into a sketch) nothing happens. It imports it but the sketch is blank.
No idea why that happens.

Won't work through exporting it to Acad because i don't have the program.

Petra
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

if you've got inventor you should have autocad aswell, it comes free with it
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

when exporting from Illustrator to dwg there is always errors in the dwg. You must open the file in ACAD and run "audit", mayby change things to layer 0 and even move things to a "sensible" origin. -- IV 9 / AIP 9 Finnur P. Frodason HP X4000 - dual Xeon 2.4 XP Pro SP 2 - 2GB mem Nvidia Quadro 4 980 "PetraM" wrote in message news:5070754.1100513906966.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Illustrator indeed does export DWG and DXF files but when I import them > into inventor (or by file-open or by importing them directly into a > sketch) nothing happens. It imports it but the sketch is blank. > No idea why that happens. > > Won't work through exporting it to Acad because i don't have the program. > > Petra
Message 8 of 13
stevensf

Can you import to Illustrator from IV or Acad and have a file that can be edited? Is there any special things ou need to do in Acad or IV before youimport into Illustrator?
Fred
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

I haven't worked with Adobe Illustrator un awhile, so this info might not be completely accurate. Illustrator seems to work best if the import files are postscript, which you should be able to get from either acad or iv by setting up a postscript printer that prints to a file, then import that into illustrator. Hope that helps. Bob S. "stevensf" wrote in message news:16502343.1100524299478.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Can you import to Illustrator from IV or Acad and have a file that can be edited? Is there any special things ou need to do in > Acad or IV before youimport into Illustrator? > Fred
Message 10 of 13
PetraM

Thanks a lot!!

i managed to open a wmf file in acad and then import it into inventor and it works. (Had to install acad first 🙂
How i'm gonna get the dimensions and the position right is another story since i can't really use acad. But i'll learn.

Thank you very much again!
Petra
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

PetraM wrote: > Thanks a lot!! > > i managed to open a wmf file in acad and then import it into inventor and it works. (Had to install acad first :) > How i'm gonna get the dimensions and the position right is another story since i can't really use acad. But i'll learn. If you're going to import it into Inventor anyway, why not position and dimension it in Inventor?
Message 12 of 13
PetraM

I have no idea how to position and dimension it in inventor. the logo is not in standard sketch lines but in some thinner black ones. If i try to move or change the dimensions of a single line (or edge) just that single one moves and streches the whole thing.

Is there a way to convert it into normal lines or remove constraints or group it or treat it as a whole (like text)?

Petra
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

PetraM wrote: > I have no idea how to position and dimension it in inventor. the logo is not in standard sketch lines but in some thinner black ones. If i try to move or change the dimensions of a single line (or edge) just that single one moves and streches the whole thing. > > Is there a way to convert it into normal lines or remove constraints or group it or treat it as a whole (like text)? > > Petra If you select all the lines at once, you should be able to move it as a whole (if its not constrained). If you want it to retain its shape when grabbing at a single line or vertex, then you have to constrain it (constraints, dimensions).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report