Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idw view skews when model changes

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cadman777
863 Views, 9 Replies

idw view skews when model changes

Does anybody have a solution to this problem with IDW views:

Regarding a view created from a part that is not on an orthographic plane in the model:

After placing a standard idw view from a model that's on a weird angle to the construction plane, I have to "rotate" it, and then create another projected view from that view, and then rotate the new view, and create a projected view from that 2nd view, and then rotate that 3rd view, in order to get an orthographic view into the drawing.

BUT, when the model changes, the main view skews, and is therefore not orthographic any longer.

When that happens, the program forces me to start from scratch, and create a new main view, and then basically re-draw the entire idw sheet. This is a total time waster, and costs $$$.

Is there any known way to make the original view return a true orthographic view?

Please note that once the view has dependent views, the 'rotate view' command is disabled.

Thanks ... Chris

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: cadman777

Sounds like your model IAM file is not oriented to the XY plane. You would need to open your IAM, unground and ground to the Origin Work Planes.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@cadman777 wrote:

Does anybody have a solution to this problem with IDW views:

Regarding a view created from a part that is not on an orthographic plane in the model:

Just to be clear - are we talking about part drawing or assembly drawing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Either way, same problem.

This time, it was simpler than usual:

I had a rake assembly with the rakes set at an angle to the horizontal.

The customer changed the rake angle to accomodate a new tank floor angle.

So I changed the rake angle in my model, which precipitated a lot of down-line "adjustments" in the model.

After changing the rake angle in the model, the base view changed in the idw, and screwed up all connected views. Basically, that entire sheet was trashed, b/c all the views came from the base view.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but this will cost me at least 3 hours work.

Usually it's nothing but a few minutes, b/c it has to do with parts and small assemblies.
But this rake is made with pipe trusses and all other kinds of conections and angled members, making the details very involved.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 10
JDMather

How are you making the original view?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: JDMather

In this case, just place a basic view from the list in the "Drawing View"-"Orientation" dialogue. Then use that view as the basis for all other views.

In other cases, there is no standard "Orientation" view in the dialogue, so I place one of the standard "Orientation" views, then rotate it to horizontal or vertical. Then project or auxiliary view from one of the orthographic edges, and see if that view is not skewed. If it is, then rotate that view till it's correct, and take another projected view from it. I do that till I get a true orthographic view. Check out the attached file for a simple example of one of these kinds of models. The above model is too complex to send.

In cases where the model is at some weird compound angle, I go to the ipt/iam and orient it to an orthographic view, then use "Current" in the "Orientation" dialogue.

But, if the orientation of the model changes in 3d space, then all the views skew to the orthogonal, and I can't find any easy way to fix them.

(SW has a very simple and nice way of dealing w/this. I asked Adsk to impliment this method a long time ago, but apparently I need to be a large seat-holder or an "investor" to "be heard".)

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 7 of 10
SBix26

I don't know of any way to keep the model oriented in a drawing view when its orientation changes in the model (such as the rake you mentioned).  But in other cases, use the "Change view orientation" button under the list of standard views-- this gives you good control of the initial view, including the "Look At" tool, and then all projections should be as intended.

In cases where a part is modeled at an angle to the origin planes for design reasons, such as in multi-body top-down design, I use a Move Body feature in the derived component to rotate it to a more useful orientation.  In the case of your rake, that could have saved you the three hours of re-drawing-- all you would need to do would be edit that Move Body feature to change the angle(s).  But that advantage all depends on the detail being a derived part where you can rotate it without affecting other things.

Message 8 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

Thanks for your comments.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "all depends".

That's why I don't do it the way you said.

I've tried at least a 1/2 dozen ways to do this, and can't find any combination to make the view not screw-up when the model is changed.

How easy would it be for Johnson to tell his developers to make a command that creates and sets a vew per user desire, based on any number of features in the model? That way, when the features change orientation in 3d space, the view maintains its orientation to the feature. They do that in SW very nicely. However, SW does other things very UN-nicely, which is why I'm using IV for this project.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 9 of 10

Hi cadman777,

I didn't look at the files (due to my own time constraints at the moment), but from the other comments posted I suspect you might want to investigate the options found by going to the Tools tab   Document Settings button >

Modeling tab, >  Options button under Make Components Dialog section.

I'm not certain that these options are what you're after, but maybe.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Position defaults

Use block instance degrees of freedom. Sets the component position option based on the block instance degrees of freedom. If a block instance has zero degrees of freedom, the component instance uses Layout Controls Position. Otherwise, Assembly Controls Position is used.

Assembly controls position (2D). The component instance position in the target assembly is controlled by the assembly degrees of freedom. Use for kinematic assemblies.

Layout controls position. The component instance position is static in the target assembly and controlled by the layout.

Create equivalent assembly constraints. Select to translate sketch constraints between block instances into equivalent assembly constraints between component instances in the parent assembly.

Constrain to layout plane. Select to constrain component instances to the layout plane in the target assembly.

NoteYou can toggle the position behavior of a component instance in the target assembly. Right-click the component instance in the browser, select Layout Constraint, and choose the position options to achieve the appropriate behavior.
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for the suggestion Curtis.

It looks like these settings relate to only "layout" sketches in iams. Is that correct?

If not, then do you have any info (a web page) I can read to see the context in which these settings are used?

Thanks

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report