Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts, iLogic missing rules

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nick
1076 Views, 4 Replies

iParts, iLogic missing rules

I am having issues with Iparts and iLogic that hopefully someone can set me on the right path with incase what I am doing is not supposed to be done.

I have created a basic sheet metal chassis with some holes in it.

These hole positions are movable with parameters.

I can create an ipart with these positions in the table

I also have a custom iParameter which is a string, that is interpretted by an iLogic rule that can then show or supress these holes, thus making the chassis quite universal.

All works great, the holes move and suppress as expected.

Yet when I create the files for my iparts the rule doesn't get copied across so when it is saved or modified Inventor complains about the missing rule, this does't stop the file being saved but it concerns me that it is complaining

I can see why it complains, but why isn't the rule copied across?

As it isn't, is my approach wrong?

Is there a way around it?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: nick

iParts and iLogic don't play well together. I strongly recommend that you only ever use one or the other. I would do this as all iLogic. You should be able to do whatever you need to through iLogic only.
What are you trying to do that you feel you need to use both?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
nick
in reply to: mrattray

Hello Mike,

what am I trying to do that makes me think I need to use both?

To be honest I haven't played or thought about iLogic parts on their own, iParts I have. Having the table of parameters seemed the way to go. Then in order to go one step further to suppress holes according to a table value, iLogic was the answer. It all seemed to work ok so I hadn't bothered to look anywhere else, the only flaw was the annoying 'missing rules' warning, I had been getting much more series VB errors yesterday but I had managed to get rid of them.

The idea was that I would have one ipart that could generate numerous base chassis types, from one of these base chassis I would derive a part that I could add extra special holes to, as well as SilkScreen decals inorder to make a special variant. The only reason why I doing it that way was to get round the problem that you can't seem to apply silkscreening decals to assemblies.

iLogic seems to be able to do what I want, after a quick look, though with a slightly different workflow than I had envisaged with iParts, not that this a problem mind you.

So thank you for the information Mike, unless Im doing something else wrong in my above workflow I think that should have fixed my issue!

Many Thanks

Message 4 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: nick

I'm partial to iLogic, hence why I say I would do it as all iLogic. However, you can suppress features via an iPart table if you wish. That's a completely valid workflow. The important thing is to just not try to mix the two methods, either do one or the other.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 5
nick
in reply to: mrattray

As im fairly new to Inventor I think it is going to take some time/trial and error to get used to what it lets me do, even though it probably shouldn't!

I did consider supressing items with the iParts table but there were lots to suppress and the table was starting to get far too complicated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report