Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts >= Family Tables ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
386 Views, 6 Replies

iParts >= Family Tables ?

I would like to continue the discussion about iParts and Family tables. Some have said that iParts can replace family tables well enough. I am limited in my knowledge of iParts, because we do not use them. I understand them to be part generators. I see them as a way to create parts quickly without having to reinvent the wheel each time you build a similar part. Please correct me if I'm completely out of bounds, I do not pretend to know everything about them.

My company started to use them for our fasteners and the like, but decided it would be just as easy to "save copy as" and modifiy. The drawback to iParts as we saw it was that you had to keep track of the parent file and keep its location relative to the children consistant. The other drawback was folder creation / naming. Although these are small problems, we have a very well organized file system, and in my opinion, more simple is always better. (just a quick background on why we don't use iParts).

As for iParts acting as a "good enough for now" version of family tables, I don't agree, unless I'm way off base on their uses. It may be true that iParts perform a similar function for parts. Family tables as part of the assembly is the real power feature. Imagine if you will, a product line of forklifts. Sometimes you may want to sell them with 42" forks, 48" forks, an optional buzzer that sounds when it is in motion, an optional red flashing light, etc. Right now, we have to have seperate models just to have the optional flashing light on one assembly, no light on another. Two bills of material are then needed(I know we could and it by hand and not show it or vice versa, but our rule is keep it parametric).

The real problem is revision. If we change the standard battery to a different part number, we have to go out and open every assembly and do the revision instead of just opening the "family" model. Changing one model to revise an entire line of products is what it is all about. The second most benefit is to have a family print set with a family bill of material. A charted bill of material with columns for each instance of the assembly is a wonderful thing. Just think, one ipn showing all options, one idw. It would cut out a lot of work.

Ok, feel free to set me straight on iParts, and make sure you think of all the uses you could find for family tables at the assembly and part levels.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We're all waiting for iAssemblies (assy family tables). Maybe in R7? I'm hoping. You can use Design Views to turn on/off optoinal components within an assy but unfortunately the BOM won't add/remove parts accordingly because Design Views still can't capture the "Reference" option of a part/subassy (bummer). A main benefit of using iParts instead of doing a "Save Copy As" as you are doing is for easy replacing of parts as the design changes such as changing out a 1/2" bolt for a 3/8" bolt easily and without losing assy constraints. I agree that IV doesn't have anything that is as powerful as ProE's family tables but I'm hopeful that the IV team is working on something good to show us soon. Right now ProE's family tables definately beat out IV's iParts.

MechMan
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Keeping track of thie iParts is rather simple. I have a library called iParts that is listed in a project file. Everybody else references that project file as an included project file in their own. The members are all kept in a subdirectory under iParts, the subdirectories name is the same as the parent files. Member file management is done automatically by Inventor as long as you specify the proxy library. You may elect to break your iPart directories up so it is easier to find what you want. One for fasteners, a different one for PEMs etc. - Rich Thomas
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I see this as two separate features.  iParts
are a factory to create a family of parts.  Family Tables (iAssemblies) as
a way to structure products and/or product options.  I do not see either as
a replacement for the other, but both as required for the complete manufacturing
oriented environment.  One tool (iParts) is currently available, the other
tool (family tables/iAssemblies) is (I hope) a future enhancement.

Right now, IMHO, family tables must be done
manually with individual top assemblies or with design views and reference
parts.  As far as IDWs go, I'm making individual drawings for different
assembly variations.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical
Designer
Xenogen
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I agree with Hal's take on the subject.  I see
them as two separate tools.

--
Sean Dotson, PE

href="http://www.sdotson.com">http://www.sdotson.com

Check the Inventor
FAQ for most common questions

href="http://www.sdotson.com/faq.html">http://www.sdotson.com/faq.html

-----------------------------------------

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I see this as two separate features.  iParts
are a factory to create a family of parts.  Family Tables (iAssemblies)
as a way to structure products and/or product options.  I do not see
either as a replacement for the other, but both as required for the complete
manufacturing oriented environment.  One tool (iParts) is currently
available, the other tool (family tables/iAssemblies) is (I hope) a future
enhancement.

Right now, IMHO, family tables must be done
manually with individual top assemblies or with design views and reference
parts.  As far as IDWs go, I'm making individual drawings for different
assembly variations.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical
Designer
Xenogen
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Actually in ProE "Family Tables" works both to create part families and assy families. So saying that Family Tables and iParts are different isn't actually true. Family Tables currently has more ability than iParts do (Family Tables = iParts + iAssemblies). As far as part families are concerned something that ProE seems to do better is that you can create a family table of any part and change the family table as desired to modify the part through a design. I've heard people complain in this NG that iParts don't like to be modified and updated. Yes there's a way around it (can't remember what it is) but I don't remember it as being something really nice to have to do.

MechMan
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Because of some of the issues you've mentioned regarding configurations we have made some changes to our document structure. Assembly drawings have their own part number, and are listed on the BOM of the product. Since our drawings don't have BOMS on them, this allows 1 drawing to be used for several different configurations. BOMs are pritned out of our ERP system for each work order.

As an example if I have a fiber optic bulkhead panel and it has options on cable lengths and adapter type I can create 1 drawing that will work for all configurations. Everytime we put up a part number and BOM for a new configuration we just put the existing drawing in the BOM. Sure, different adapters look slightly different but as long as the assembly people are trained to understand this it isn't a problem. You do have to keep consistent item numbers for this to work. In those cases where 1 bom has more components than another we use a "DNI" component. So if the drawing shows a balloon for an item 13 and a particular configuration doesn't have that item the BOM has a part listed that is DNI which stands for "Do Not Install". This alleviates questions as to why the drawing shows an item the BOM doesn't have.
Hope this may help, Rich Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report