Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts are constantly wanting to be saved....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
290 Views, 5 Replies

iParts are constantly wanting to be saved....

I know, I know.... we have covered this before.  But this is a little strange in Inv 2013 as compared to the last few versions.  We have a "fasteners" iparts library of our nuts, bolts, washers....you know, fasteners. I have every member of the ipart generated and stored in vault.  I have an assembly that just contains all these children. I have several assemblies for this, one for each parent.  I can open the relative assembly, check it out and save it, then check it in and everything "should" be up-to-date for that ipart.  Now when somebody else opens a different assembly that uses one of these children, they "shouldn't" be asked to save the ipart..... thats the way its worked in the past.

In Inv 2013, its a little different now.

I can open one assembly that uses the children, work in it and save it and Inventor doesn't want to save the children... GREAT.  Now I open a different assembly that uses these same children and save it.  Now Inventor wants to save the ipart children.

***I could go ahead and let it save the parts, but then I have parts that are edited-out-of-turn in my workspace. I dont like that.

*** When I save, I could change all the fasteners that it wants to save to "No" instead of "Yes" in the save column.  Thats time consuming and besides, I shouldn't have to do that.

In my Tools>App Options, save tab, I run with "prompt to save for recomputable updates" checked.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

The behavior you describe is not normal. Could you provide an example showing this behavior?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I could pack-n-go and send it to you via FTP site.

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Kirk,

Please send me an email so I can set up the secure account for you to upload.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
zdhrichard

Even in Inventor 2009, we have this kind of issue.

What we do is:

Save everything, and close them. Then just open the assembly. When you check in, Inventor will not ask this question.

Rich

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018 (64 Bit Edition)
Build: 284, Release 2018.3
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645
12.0 GB Memory
Message 6 of 6
karthur1

Under Tools>App Options, general tab, I also have the "Do not list referenced files that default to "No in the Save dialog" checked.  This was causing problems when I saved my "master" assembly because it was not prompting me to save the parts.  If I uncheck this box, then save my "Master" assembly, then check in the parts, they are indeed up-to-date.

Now when I open a different iam that uses this same part, I am not prompted to save it again.

Thanks Johnson for all your help!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report