Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iParts and Hole Feature

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
GSE_Dan_A
800 Views, 6 Replies

iParts and Hole Feature

I have created an iPart which uses the Hole Feature (counterbore hole).  The hole is not threaded.  Is there a way to put the Hole Feature into the iPart table so when a user enters specific values, he/she could type in or select a bolt size and the counter bore hole feature will use the correct dimensions for said bolt size (ie.  I would like the counterbore holes for an M6 Socket Head Cap Screw.  So instead of typing in the counterbore hole diameter, depth, and bolt diameter, etc... it would automatically enter the default values.)  Or is this something that must use iLogic?

If you need further information, please ask.  I am using Inventor Pro 2013.  I can post an example of the part if needed.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I don't think there is any way to have an ipart prompt for user input.. This sounds like ilogic.  What else about the part can change?  Is it a basic shape and size, and only the hole size changes?

Message 3 of 7

Hi GSE_Dan_A,

I think we can do this by adding an If/Then in Excel to the iPart table, I'll work up a quick example, but it might be a bit before I get back to it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 7

Hi GSE_Dan_A,

When I had a look at this it dawned on me that just adding a User Parameter called HoleSize or something similar and then making that parameter a key might be all that is needed.

Attached is a simple example, with fictional hole data. Does this do what you need?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 7

Thank you both for your responses. 
Curis - I think your example will work well! I will give it a go and report back.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 6 of 7

I may go in a different direction with the Check Fixture.  I was thinking more along the lines of a Form.
User opens Generic Check Fixture Part.
Opens up custom Form.
Enters relevant information.

Part is then created. 
Now my question is if I have a Field set-up for Socket Head Cap Screw Size and a drop-down is available to select SHCS size (metric or imperial), how can I get the counterbore dimensions to be linked with the Form?  For example the user selects M8, I would like the counterbore holes to reflect the required dimensions (diameter, depth, etc...)

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 7 of 7
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Here is my example I am working on.  I have the Form included.  What I would like to have is Hole5 be a drop down within my Form so when the user selects a SHCS size, the counterbore will update with the correct dimensions.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report