Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPart not changeable in iam file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
gcross
656 Views, 9 Replies

iPart not changeable in iam file

I created an iPart &, within an assembly, I cannot change the iPart to another version in the iPart table. But I can change the iPart to any member at the ipt level no problem.

I have other iParts from CBLISS that can be changed within an assembly so I know it can be done.

What do I need to do to have the iPart change at the assembly level (see ipart attached)?

Gary

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: gcross

"if" the ipart was created after the part was inserted into the assembly that you cannot change the members.. just some limitation and its documented in the help somewhere I believe.. but..

The ipart must be created first then placed into an assembly or the workaround is to simply RMB on the ipart in the assembly and select.. "component flyout".."replace all" then it will work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi gcross,

I suspect what you've done is that you've created the part, then placed it into the assembly, and THEN made it into an iPart.

If you remove the iPart from the assembly, save and close the assembly (and maybe restart Inventor) just to clear memory, and then open the assembly and insert the iPart, I think you'll see it work as it should. The save, close, restart might not be required, I don't recall.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 10
LT.Rusty

Was it already an iPart when you inserted it into the assembly, or did you insert it as a regular part and then make it into an iPart?

Do a component replace on it, see if that makes a difference.  I seem to recall that if you convert to an iPart factory after it's already inserted into an assembly, it gets a little confused until you do a component replace and re-insert it as an iPart factory.

Edit: MAN, Curtis and Mcgyvr are fast ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
mdavis22569

If I'm correct on what you're wanting to do... You need to place it in your assembly.. and if you expand the browser to show the table icon ..and rmb and say Change component you then will get a pop up box on your screen. It worked for me

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Edit: MAN, Curtis and Mcgyvr are fast ...

I'm the winner 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I'm the winner 🙂

If we had one of those handy dandy red pocket knives too, we'd have tied you. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10

I think the name has something to do with it too.  I've got a dog named Macgyver, and he's ridiculously fast as well.    🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
gcross
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Lt. Rusty,

It was a part in the assembly then I updated the part to an Part. Can I just
do a replace with the iPart I wonder?

Thanks.

Gary Cross

Cross Design

253 Molimo Drive

San Francisco, CA 94127-1849

415.699.7244 cell 415.415.586.7018 ph

gcross@crossdesign.com
Message 10 of 10
LT.Rusty

Should be able to, yes.  Just do a component replace, and sub in the same part again.

(I can't open yours at work right now - I've only got 2013 - but it sounds like there's nothing wrong with your iPart factory as it is.)

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report