Inventor General

bukko
Message 1 of 3 (73 Views)

iPart Question

73 Views, 2 Replies
04-16-2012 05:52 PM

Hi Group,

When I place a fastener from the content center it will automatically size itself to the hole that I'm placing it in. The bolted connection module will create a hole thru the part automatically.

My company is using the same kind of gauges repeatedly but we are creating different panel layouts with each custom machine we build.

Is it possible to create an iPart that will execute a cutout when placed in an assembly?

Can someone in the group give me an outline of creation steps to achieve this or some recommended reading?

I've been a light user of Inventor over the last year  so I'm familiar with the program.

Thank you

Craig

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 3 (54 Views)

Re: iPart Question

04-17-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: bukko

I think you are asking about ifeatures or the punch tool.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

bukko
Message 3 of 3 (36 Views)

Re: iPart Question

04-17-2012 02:18 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks Mcgyvr,

My post was kind of vauge.

My goal here is to create a custom library of gauge and meter "smart" parts.

When I place them on a panel/constrain them I would like for the part to execute a  cutout automatically and update the cutout position  when I change a the location of the part via the constraints....etc. 

At the moment I'm using a sketch containing all of the cutouts and extrude/cutting them thru the panel and then constraining the meters and guages to the cutout face edges in the subassembly. While I have no problems editing the sketch and having the panel update with the new part locations in the assembly, it seems like there can be a more efficient and automated way of doing this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll do some research on the punch tool and dive into ifeatures more.

I was hoping to find someone who has already done what I'm trying to do in Inventor and just pick their

brain :smileywink: !

Craig

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube