Inventor General

Active Contributor
Blokkie862
Message 11 of 12 (259 Views)

Re: iLogic Driven Dimension

04-17-2013 07:39 AM in reply to: mrattray

Thank you very much! I would never have figured this out myself.

Where did you get you're knowledge of this? Is this just basic programming in VB or is this specific for iLogic in Inventor? Or a bit of both maybe. I'm a programming noob (know a bit of programming in C and even less in C#) but looking to learn more about it. Especially about VB if that is what I need to be able to program things like this myself.

Just one more question, is it also possible that whenever I have changed the value of the driven dimension by dragging it, that the rule is triggered and ran? The rule doesn't run when I trigger it by Any Model Parameter Change (one of the standard event triggers built in Inventor), where a driving parameter change by hand does.

Thanks very much again, you've helped me a great deal.

Robbert

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 12 of 12 (254 Views)

Re: iLogic Driven Dimension

04-17-2013 07:51 AM in reply to: Blokkie862

iLogic is mostly VBA with some VB.net and special iLogic only functions mashed in. I taught myself using VB and VBA tutorials on the net, from this board, and lots of trial and error. One thing that's very very useful is the API's object browser. If you press F-11 from inside Inventor it will bring you to the API window. This is where you can write your own custom macros (This is pure VBA, not iLogic). If you press F2 from here it will bring you to the object browser. This doesn't translate perfectly to iLogic, but it can really help you understand what goes on under the hood of Inventor and can be a big help getting you ~90% of the way there.

Unfortunately, Inventor doesn't consider a reference dimension to be a regular parameter, so we can't use that as a trigger. However, If you go ahead and make your extrusion and set a trigger for "Part Geometery Change" then the rule is triggered whenever the sketch is dragged. I'm not sure if there's any other way to trigger it automatically. If the geometery change work around doesn't work for you then we could link it to the iTrigger function. If your not familiar with iTrigger, it's simply a ribbon button that creates a user parameter named "iTrigger0" and rolls its value up by one. I can't think of any other way to trigger the rule at the moment.

This conversation inspired me to create this idea for an iLogic object browser: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Object-Browser-for-iLogic/idi-p/3874083

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube