Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLOGIC TO CHANGE COLORS OF PARTS

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
dclunie
8882 Views, 14 Replies

iLOGIC TO CHANGE COLORS OF PARTS

Hi All

I am looking for a rule that will search assembly down all levels and find .ipts with the material of plywood and when found change all plywoods to color Clear - Light.

Any help would be appreciated

dave

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
AlexFielder
in reply to: dclunie

This code I cobbled together from a number of sources (1, 2) should get you started:

Private Sub Main
    UpdateAssyBrowser(ThisDoc.Document)
End Sub

Private Sub UpdateAssyBrowser(ByVal oDoc As Inventor.Document)
    Dim oAssy As Inventor.AssemblyDocument
    Dim oComp As Inventor.ComponentOccurrence
    Dim oSubDoc As Inventor.Document

Dim NodeName() As String
    Dim InstNum As String

If oDoc.DocumentType = Inventor.DocumentTypeEnum.kAssemblyDocumentObject Then
      oAssy = CType(oDoc, AssemblyDocument)

For Each oComp In oAssy.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences
        oSubDoc = CType(oComp.Definition.Document, Document)
		If Left(oComp.Name,7) = "PlyWood" Then
			If oSubDoc.DocumentType = Inventor.DocumentTypeEnum.kPartDocumentObject Then
				'MessageBox.show("Matching Part file found!")
				Component.Color(oComp.Name) = "Cyan"
			End If
		End If
        If oSubDoc.DocumentType = Inventor.DocumentTypeEnum.kAssemblyDocumentObject Then
          Call UpdateAssyBrowser(oSubDoc)
        End If

Next oComp
    End If
  End Sub

It is currently based on the name of the part occurence but could easily be changed to suit your needs.

**Please bear in mind that it only affects the top level assembly. The parts themselves don't change colour. I wish to change this fact, but have yet to figure it out.**

🙂

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 15
dclunie
in reply to: AlexFielder

HI

Thank you for your response to this thread however can you help me tweak?

It works a treat if you where looking for all browser names that have been named plywood,however we have  a very strict numbering system and all broweser names never get overidden unless it is Ilogic parts Example:CAM-01-0401-000 and so on each additional part will take the next number.

One of the reasons i asked for it to look a iproperties within a  part is to find all parts down all levels with material type "PLYWOOD" then when found give me an overide at assembly level just as your code does and change colour for example "Cyan".

it would be great if we can get this to work it would save me lots of ime on doing examples of lets say for example find me all mdf doors in assembly which could be hundreds and show me them in alternate colour?

Many thanks

Dave

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 15
ChrisAtherton

It should be an external rule run by each plywood part called by an iterative rule at the assembly level. I had one that worked for 2012 I can hunt out for you.
Chris Atherton
IEng MIMechE BEng Hons
Design Automation Services Manager | Symetri
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/chrissoathe
Message 5 of 15
AlexFielder
in reply to: ChrisAtherton

Chris is correct, running this code as an external rule will provide a better result. You would just need to add the relevant iLogic code to look for the material property.

@chris: would you mind posting the code here for others (myself included) to see?

🙂

Message 6 of 15
MegaJerk
in reply to: AlexFielder

Try this from the Assembly :

Dim oCurrentDoc As Inventor.Document
Dim oDoc As Inventor.Document 
Dim oPartDoc As PartDocument
Dim oRefDoc As DocumentsEnumerator
Dim oTargetColor As RenderStyle
Dim oNewColor As RenderStyle

oCurrentDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
If oCurrentDoc.DocumentType = kAssemblyDocumentObject Then 
	For Each oDoc In oCurrentDoc.AllReferencedDocuments
		If oDoc.DocumentType = kPartDocumentObject Then
			oPartDoc = oDoc
			''' Side note : I do not have Plywood or Clear - Light 
			''' as Render Styles that I can choose from. The colors used
			''' are some default colors from 2011 / 2012 and should 
			''' serve as reasonable place holders. 
			oTargetColor = oPartDoc.RenderStyles.Item("Wood")
			oNewColor = oPartDoc.RenderStyles.Item("Blue (Clear)")

If oPartDoc.ActiveRenderStyle Is oTargetColor Then 
				''' Use this if you want to change the 
				''' color currently being used, without
				''' changing the properties of the material.
				''' This is like using the drop down box from 
				''' inside the Part environment.
				oPartDoc.ActiveRenderStyle = oNewColor

''' Use this line of code if you want to alter
				''' the actual Render Style of the Material. 
				''' This will alter the material so that when it's
				''' applied to the part, it will maintain whatever
				''' color change you made to it. 
				'oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Material.RenderStyle = oNewColor
			End If
		End If 
	Next
End If 

If my solution worked or helped you out, please don't forget to hit the kudos button 🙂
iLogicCode Injector: goo.gl/uTT1IB

GitHub
Message 7 of 15
dclunie
in reply to: MegaJerk

Hi

Thank you for code correct me if im wrong but your code is looking for certain type of color style assigned to part and hen found a match its changing it to desired color of our choosing.

I have pasted song code below and it kind of does what I want it to do but with few tweaks can you help,its easy if I bullet list below to explain steps

• Need to find all .ipts within assemble down all levels with material type "Plywood" this has a color of "poplar" assigned.
  • When found each part with material that equals plywood then kOverrideRenderStyle to "Clear" at assembly level (this is not to change part color as permanent basis,this only for visual
  • Then when we have finished we can clear all overridden colors back to there default assigned color (this can be done via inventor

Any help would be great 

( code below just randomizes all parts to random colors but it does not change core color of part and this is exactly what I need but in the instance of finding material then changing color )

Public Sub SetOccurrenceOverrideColors()   
    Dim oAsmDoc As AssemblyDocument    
    Set oAsmDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument    

' Initialize the random number generator and get       
    ' the number of render styles defined.        
    Randomize    
    Dim iColorCount As Long    
    iColorCount = oAsmDoc.RenderStyles.Count    

' Iterate through the top-level occurrences in the assembly.
    Dim oOcc As ComponentOccurrence    
    For Each oOcc In oAsmDoc.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences    
        ' Set the color to a random color.
        Call oOcc.SetRenderStyle(kOverrideRenderStyle, _    
            oAsmDoc.RenderStyles.Item(Int((iColorCount * Rnd) + 1)))    
    Next    
End Sub

Message 8 of 15
MegaJerk

So, something like this? 

Dim oCurrentDoc As Inventor.Document
Dim oDoc As Inventor.Document 
Dim oPartDoc As PartDocument
Dim oRefDoc As DocumentsEnumerator
Dim oTargetColor As RenderStyle
Dim oNewColor As RenderStyle

oCurrentDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
If oCurrentDoc.DocumentType = kAssemblyDocumentObject Then 
	For Each oDoc In oCurrentDoc.AllReferencedDocuments
		If oDoc.DocumentType = kPartDocumentObject Then
			oPartDoc = oDoc

If oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Material.Name = "Plywood"
				oNewColor = oPartDoc.RenderStyles.Item("Clear")
				If Not oPartDoc.ActiveRenderStyle Is oNewColor Then 			
					oPartDoc.ActiveRenderStyle = oNewColor
				End If			
			End If
		End If 
	Next
End If 

This one searches for a Material called "Plywood" and will change the active render style to "Clear". The other code would have done the same thing, but would have looked for the color of the Material rather than the Material itself (though it did require you to swap out the two text names for the RednerStyles for the ones that you were using / wanted to change).  

Out of curiosity, Instead of making a color Clear, why not just turn off the visibility of the part? 

Also, if you're messing with the visibility of a certain group of parts, why not just create a view representation of the assembly with all of those items turned off? You could even put a Custom iProperty on each part that identifies which View Rep it should go to, and have code go through each part setting it to where it needs to go. This would give you automation plus, possibly, sexier assemblies. 

Any who, I hope that this runs for you correctly. 

If my solution worked or helped you out, please don't forget to hit the kudos button 🙂

GitHub
Message 9 of 15
dclunie

HI

Thanks again for the code but when it runs nothing happens? i dont kno wahts wrong checked spelling on material type and color and everything is ok but it does not change anything unlike the previos code you posted.

As for you earlier question we are make holisay hames which are made into massive top level assemblys containing any thing upto 10.000 parts at times.And the reason for the code is to turn all our our plywood to a more see threw color to check for all internall fixings clashes with electrical points and etc. really just a clear visual check to make and ensure hat we have drawn is fit for purpose when it goes to manufacturer.

hope this makes sense.

Just to note i used to be able to what is required by using the find button on your browser panel looking for .ipt and with material "PLYWOOD" at hit find it worked really well it found all my parts hhighlights them all so i just went to color styles and changed to clear (job done)

However there is something wrong with my machine and cad reseller cannot give solution ,because after running this search when i press close to finish this task i get a serious memory leak and pc just builds up until it reaches my 36gb of ram then just crashes my workstation.

thanks for your time looking at this for me

Message 10 of 15
MegaJerk

Could you make a small assembly of parts and attach them to a post? I am not sure if you are not changing the string values to what they should be, or if I am simply misinterpreting what you're trying to tell us. If you could attach a small assembly file (with parts) that have some variety, IE: 1~2 plywood parts, and 1~2 non-plywood parts, I can get better create something that would be suitable for your situation. 

GitHub
Message 11 of 15
dclunie

HI MegaJerk

For some reason i cannot attach assembly to post will upload to Autodesk 360 if you can send me email address
All we are after is to find any .ipt with material of plywood and change at assembly level to color clear ,so we can see via fixing points.(Parts are not to change permanent just need color override)
We run this at its uppermost level and upto 50 assemblies to deal with?

Thanks for your help
Message 12 of 15
MegaJerk

Are you using 2013? Perhaps that's the reason why I can't seem to crack this. I know that they changed a lot of the material / color stuffs in 2013, and I'm still running 2012. 

If you're running something below 2013, try zipping up the files (or pack -and- go) first before posting them here. 

GitHub
Message 13 of 15
RoyWickrama_RWEI

I am interested in this. It is very useful if I could get the color assigned to the part (at the part level). Attached here to is my assmbly (this is inprogress).

I hope you would not mind it I request you to reply (for changing color of parts).

Thanks.

Autodesk Inventor - 2014 & Vault Basic 2014.

Message 14 of 15

Yes it works fine.

Thank you

Message 15 of 15

Hi

I give color to all components in the assembly. Assembly Component Color = Part Color. For each part in the assembly (for each component). How can I do that? Assembly all components Color Red = all Parts color Red

After open part and it has a color Red

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report