Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly parts lists best practices

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
enfiel3d
786 Views, 4 Replies

iAssembly parts lists best practices

Greetings!

I started to explore iAssemblies and I have some questions regarding best practices, parts lists in particular.

Right now I am a little confused about the possible workflows, when iAssembly contains iParts. I have no questions with modeling, but drawings are more difficult.

I find strange that different members of the same iPart inserted into iAssembly have different item numbers. I don't understand how really to create assembly drawing given that feature.

If the item numbers would be the same for each member, I would simply create assembly drawing with balloons and the aggregate parts list - that would work because each iPart member wold have had the same balloon number.

But given that each iPart member has unique item number, the confusion arises. I can create separate assembly drawing with its own set of balloons and own separate parts lists - which is not the easiest or fastest workflow. I can also create aggregate parts list, which lists all iPart members, but I still need separate assembly drawings, again because of the unique item numbers for each member.

Am I missing something here? I repeat, I only started to explore iAssemblies. 

I am very interested in learning best practice from experienced users who employ iAssembly drawings and parts lists in their real workflows.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: enfiel3d

No you are not missing anything.. Autodesk has half assed this functionality. I end up editing the bill of materials and making all the members have the same item number. Its annoying.  Here is a small example of how I think it should work too. (see attached)

This is a circuit board assembly with 2 iparts that change based on the iassy member. I would love it if the parts list looked like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

and here is what you can do if you edit the bill of materials and make the item numbers match for each ipart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr

This is how our parts list used to look in the autocad days.. I really like this too.

Message 5 of 5
enfiel3d

Well, it looks like Autodesk. They are very good at releasing half-baked features... unfortunately.

Looks like we need to start a motion to lobby improvements in the iAssembly parts lists. Anybody fancy to join?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums