Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly containing iParts

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1106 Views, 5 Replies

iAssembly containing iParts

Hello,

If I put iParts into an assembly, and then convert this assembly to an iAssembly, I can include "Table Replace [My_iPart]" as a column in the parameter table. As the value of this column I can select the individual rows of the given iPart parameter table.

However, I can not make this column be a "Custom Parameter Column". (In fact it seems to me that in an iAssembly I can not make any other types of columns to be "Custom Parameter Columns" either). Also, if a parameter of the iPart is a "custom parameter", I can not carry over this "customness" into the iAuthor parameter table.

This means that I need to insert table rows by hand, one-by-one, which is quite cumbersome. Imagine you have an iAssembly containing only two iParts, each having N rows. This means N^2 rows in the iAssembly, all of which I need to specify by hand. Plus I can not use the "customness" of a parameter of an iPart within the assembly.

In an iAssembly containing an iPart, I would like to

- have a "Custom Parameter Column" in the iAssembly parameter table, which can select rows from the iPart parameter table (selectable values would automatically be all the rows from the correcponding iPart)

- if my iPart has a custom parameter, I would like to have this custom parameter available as a separate custom-value column in the iAssembly

Is it possible somehow? Or is it conceptually wrong?

Thank you

Daniel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

A related problem (?) is with iParts containing iFeatures: if I create an iPart containing an iFeature, I can put a parameter column into the iPart parameter table, which is the row-number of the contained iFeature. But this column can not be made custom-value, i.e. I need to create several rows in the iPart parameter table, containing the different rows of the iFeature. Can this be solved in a more elegant way?

thanks

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I assume by the lack of replies that these two operations cannot be done? I have tried many different options (Inventor 2012) and not been able to come up with any workaround. The first operation (puting in multiple combinations) can at least be done, even if it means inserting N^2 rows, but the second one (having an iPart parameter exposed when you insert an iAssembly) seem simpossible 😞

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Indeed there were no responses, so I believe this is not possible - although I do not find the described situation 'artificially fabricated': I have many practical cases when this would come handy.

Message 5 of 6
ali.jahed

I have the same problem!

It seems iAssembly doesn't have "Custom Parameter Column" option available.

I have iParts in an iAssembly and trying to make the relationship constraints parameters as "Custom Parameter Column".

The big problem I've got here is, when I try to change these relationship constraints through an ilogic in another assembly containing this iAssembly, these relationship constraints don't get updated. I was hoping by making them "Custom Parameter Column" it will work but it seems this option is not available in iAssembly.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ali.jahed

Hi Ali,

iAssembly and iPart are meant to be library components. I believe you will benefit from using iLogic rule. You can create an assembly with all your requirements and drive parameters at the top-level assembly. Then you can use iLogic Design Copy to spawn another configuration..

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report