Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssemblies

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Neil_j51
340 Views, 5 Replies

iAssemblies

Good Morning,

I am currently creating an Backdraft Damper iAssembly, I have several sizes to do and on this Assembly I need to make part visible and un-visible depending on the size of the Damper. Is there anyway to do this in a rule?

Thank You

Neil J

Mechanical Designer

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Neil_j51

I suspect you don't mean visible/invisible as that does not effect the BOM of each member and typically is not used with iassemblies.

I suspect you mean "include/exclude" or maybe using a table replace if using iparts for this adjustable size component.

Personally if I have a bunch of iassembly configs/members to do I simply "edit via spreadsheet" vs "edit table" and then its a very simply process of copying/pasting in excel.. You can create hundreds of members in only minutes or less that way. It will probably take more time to write an ilogic rule to do that vs just getting it done in Excel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
Neil_j51
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am not using a Excel Spreadsheet in this application, this iAssembly is only being using for modeling proposes, so th BOM is not applicable. So I really need to be able to make the parts visible or invisible based on size.

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr

If you are creating an iassembly then an excel spreadsheet is being used..

You have the ability to edit iassembly members via Inventors build in table or via an excel spreadsheet.. 

And if you are making different configurations of some product then the BOM is applicable and invisible/visible is not how you should do it..

Sounds like you are simply not doing it properly and think that just using visibility is quicker than the proper way.. Which its not. It takes the same amount of time in this situation to do it properly (or as Inventor expects the tool to be used). 

I'd suggest you read up more on iassemblies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 6
Neil_j51
in reply to: mcgyvr

Okay, I will, do you have any links or book suggestions, that I can access?

Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr

try youtube or just google "inventor iassembly tutorial"

I'm imagining you might have some iparts that represent the changing parts (like damper plate/blade) and damper body.

A single ipart file can easily create the multiple sizes/suppress holes that aren't used on some sizes,etc..

Another single iaprt file can create the multiple sizes of the damper body.

The iassembly would simply be doing a "table replace" component and swapping out all the iparts for the appropriate sizes. 

Starting the iassembly and create the first member then right click on the "table" node and select "Edit via spreadsheet" and then you can easily create all the different members very quickly by just adding new rows,etc... 

One could easily create hundreds of different sizes in just a few minutes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report