Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 9xx series or Xeon CPU for Inventor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gcross
2364 Views, 3 Replies

i7 9xx series or Xeon CPU for Inventor

Anyone have any first hand experience running inventor or 3D Studio Max (any) with the i7 980 or 990?

I'm getting ready to purchase a new system & trying to choose between Xeon (4 or 6 core 3+ GH) & i7 6 core CPU's to run Inventor.

I'm leaning towards the single i7 9XX due to cost vs 1 or 2x Xeons. I know the i7 can't use ECC RAM but how important is that?

Looking at spending around $5-6 K if possible.

Currently I'm running Inventor 2010 but will be upgrading to Design Suite 2012 Premium with 3D Studio Max.

I'll be getting 12GB RAM min., an SS boot drive + 2x 10K data drives in RAID 0 & a Quadro 4000 graphics card.

Man, it's getting harder & harder to figure all these choices out. Any input would be appreciated.

Is there stil a hardware NG, I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Gary

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: gcross

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
JamesLovell

not sure it 'really' matters 🙂

Some notes on ECC memory:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_random-access_memory

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 4 of 4
Martin_Goodland

I was using Inventor 2010 and 2011 on an AMD Opteron 185 Dual core CPU @3.0 Ghz with 4 Gb of RAM, Geforce 8800GTX graphics and Vista 64bit. 2010 was fine but 2011 would freeze, be non-responsive and was a pain to use with this machine. I have moved to the hex core i980 machine in my signature and the difference is like night and day, I have also run this machine without the SSD drives in it and can say they make a huge difference to load times, I would not want to go back to mechanical HD's. I am looking forward to trying out the multi core drawing environment in 2012 with this machine and the size of some of our drawings it should save us literally hours.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums