Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use a metric file in an english assembly

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
DaleDavis3738
340 Views, 4 Replies

how to use a metric file in an english assembly

inventor 2013-  I have to build a tool which I use all english but the base part the tool is making is in a iges file that is when I load is metric.   Is there a way to convert this or do i have to redraw this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: DaleDavis3738

There is really no reason to convert - Inventor is units aware, so it is what it is.  (I would simply leave it in it's original units.)   (I would certainly not redraw something that is already done.)

If you really really really want to change the units for some reason go to Tools>Document Settings>Units in the ipt file.

You should not need to scale anything unless for some reason the Units were not set in the IGES file.

Zip and Attach your original IGES file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5

when I open a new assembly drawing and place the first componet which for example is a 1 x25 x 25 inch plate then place the file file from the customer (open as iges and  saved as inventer) it comes in way large like it is 300 inches by 300 inches but is 300 mm.

thanks

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: DaleDavis3738

It doesn't sound like the IGES file was saved with units.

Click on the file but before Open select Options.

Import Units.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
DaleDavis3738
in reply to: JDMather

thanks, that was it, i re opened the iges ,changed the units and resaved it..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report