Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to import Mechanical Desktop 2009 files into Inventor 2012

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
ks_cowboy
2778 Views, 29 Replies

how to import Mechanical Desktop 2009 files into Inventor 2012

Howdy yall,

I am havin some issues with importing .dwg files created in Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009 (mdt) into Inventor 2012. Here is what i am doing... (i used photobucket to upload the pics. If it dont work please let me know.)

#1. I find said .dwg, highlight it, click options, click import, click ok, and then click open.

#2. this window opens up...

I change "no saved configuration" to "default Mechanical Desktop configuration" and hit next

#3. then it changes to this...

Then i hit next

#4. then it changes to this...

then i hit next

#5. then that window closes and i get this popup...

What am i doing wrong? It worked when i had Inventor 2011, but then i had some computer issues, and had to reistall windows 7 (hard drive issues) and all of my programs. I didnt install Inventor 2011 initally, so i dont know what settings was changed, or if there are any that need changed.

I will admit, i am not too well educated in the ways of MDT, so please dumb it down for me.

Thank Yall in advanced!

Frank

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
DarrenP
in reply to: ks_cowboy

i think you have to download the version of mdt 2009 to have it work 2012 inventor: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13744274&siteID=123112

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 30
ks_cowboy
in reply to: DarrenP

I have MDT 2009 already installed on my computer, allong with inventor 2012.  It used to work with Inventor 2011, and i have 2011 on my pc, but it wont operate cause of a licensing issue that i havnt had time to figure out.

Message 4 of 30
Ray_Feiler

There are two versions of Mechanical Desktop 2009. One works with Inventor 2009, 2010 and 2011 and the other works with 2012. I think you have the first version and need to download the one that works with 2012. I'm in the same boat as you.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 5 of 30
rdyson
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Actually no, if you have MDT installed it should work with 2012, at least mine does on XP-64.

If not installed, then yes. You have to download the new installer or have IV 2011 or 2010 already installed on the machine to install MDT.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 30
rdyson

Post the MDT file

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 30
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: rdyson

Nice to know, but I do not have Mechanical Desktop installed and the installer I have does not work with 2012 which is why Autodesk released a new installer. So now we have a installer that works with 2009, 2010 and 2011 and a installer that works with 2012. In my case Desktop is not installed because of new computers. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 30
rdyson

No, the one downloadable installer works for installations on machines with IV 2010,2011 & 2012.

I'm extracting the zip files now! It'll be loaded on a new lpatop with only IV 2012.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 30
Ray_Feiler

That is weird. When I go to http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=13744274&siteID=123112 and complete the form, the link it takes me to shows a down load for 2009, 2010 and 2011 and a differant one for 2012.

2012.JPG

2009.JPG

Message 10 of 30
ks_cowboy

Here is one of many files i have tried to import.  When I installed mdt, at the time, I think, that i had only put inventor 2012 on.  Eventually, through some confusion, i had installed inventor 2011.  Now i cant open inventor 2011 cause of some licensing issues.  I have never tried to figure out how to solve that issue, cause this should work.

Message 11 of 30
rdyson

Message 12 of 30
rdyson

Here's the IV transaltions, no problem here. You might consider re-installing MDT using the link I sent RayFeiler

PDSU 2016
Message 13 of 30
jeffrey.sun

Hello Frank,

What's your installation sequence of the MDT 2009 and Inventor 2012? The Inventor 2012 should be installed after  MDT 2009. Otherwise inventor will crash.

In your 5th step, the runtime error may result in inventor crashes. If the CER dialog pops up, please add some information and send the CER report. Also paste the information you added here. Then I can find the CER report and make the detailed analysis.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 30
jeffrey.sun

Please have a try to refresh the registry information with the command line "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /INSTALL".

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 30
Ray_Feiler

Same result as before. I see two different installers. Can you post a screen shot that only shows one installer for 2010, 11 and 12? Are you using Inventor Pro or Ultimate? I just have Product Design Suite Premium.

SameResult.JPG

Message 16 of 30
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: jeffrey.sun

jeffrey now I’m really confused. This is the Readme file for the 2012 installer.

Confused.JPG

Message 17 of 30
ks_cowboy

Howdy Mr.. Jeffery,

I believe that when I re installed windows, a couple months ago, I installed Inventor 2011, then tried to install MDT, and it didnt work, so then I installed Inventor 2012 (autodesk product design suite) then I installed MDT. Inventor seems to run just fine as I have done it.  The only time inventor crashes (as far as I have found) is if I try to import mdt files.

Yes after I get that runtime error, Inventor does crash.  I dont know what CER means

Message 18 of 30
rdyson

Yes, that's the same.

I just didn't look further south than where it said installer for 2012.

PDSU 2016
Message 19 of 30
rdyson

>>The Inventor 2012 should be installed after  MDT 2009. Otherwise inventor will crash.

Seems to work okay for me, except that it's complaining about not having the latest version of trueview (imports the model but not the 2-d). I'll try installing latest trueview and see what happens.

PDSU 2016
Message 20 of 30
rdyson

Installed trueview 2012 and the complete translation works great.

Why was I not able to edit my previous post???

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report