Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to determine shortest longitudinal length of cylinder

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Chipping
835 Views, 27 Replies

how to determine shortest longitudinal length of cylinder

I have a cylinder (Pipe Actually cut at different angles at each end) I want to rip it along it's shortest longitudinal length - to do so i need to place a point on the cylinder where the shortest length occurs.

Any tips on how to do this?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Chipping
in reply to: Chipping

I tried using the co ordinates with precise input to draw line. Weird results - I did it twice the two lines seemed parralell to each other but in different model space to that of the cylinder. I would have thought the model worked of one UCS base setting - I must be missing something yet again. Also it gave two different results for the xyz coords - I expected them to be the same as I did not change the UCS

Message 22 of 28
Chipping

Ok figured it out UCS moves around as you draw lines so have to set it back to origin to get each point.

Message 23 of 28
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think this case needs to use complicated solution. The intersection of the two split faces defines a workaxis. Simply use Silhouette Curve based on the workaxis will find the shortest line. Please take a look and see if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 28
Chipping
in reply to: WHolzwarth

That shorter distance I found was not a suface distance hence why it was shorter than than yours. How ever it was a little way around the cylinder from your line.

Message 25 of 28
Chipping
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Looks like that found the shortest paralell line to the central axis of the cylinder - Walter and I where looking at the real shortest line on the outer surface that being about 5mm shorter than the one you found. Still helpfull as in some cases I need that but I also want to cross check it with the real shortest line on the surface. In the process of me playing I actually found the very shortest possible line but that line actually passes through the surface.

Message 26 of 28
Chipping

In fact there may even be a shorter line if i took the edge on the inner of each end of the cylinder. Any way looks like I now have the methods to do what i want regarding this issue and I thank every one for there help and input on this.

Message 27 of 28
Chipping

No inside edges did not give shorter due to the angle of the cut

Message 28 of 28
jingyi.liu

Hi, Chipping

Based on WH's solution, and there is a workaround for you referece.

• Firstly, it's easy to measure the shortest distance between top and bottom faces, in this case, it's about 419.18mm.
  • Create a 3D sketch, and includes the outer loops of top and bottom faces. Create a straight line and add coincident constraint between line end points to the loops.
  • Dimmesion the straight line, and input the measured value. The straight line is exactly the shortest one you need.
  • Finally, using sweep feature to cut a slot on the cylindral face. 

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report