Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to cut out worm case

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
James__S
1552 Views, 16 Replies

how to cut out worm case

Hello

Using Inventor 2013/2014 .. how do i cut out the worm case so that the worm can rotate correctly inside..it will be part of a pump (mono)

Cheers

James

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
James__S
in reply to: James__S

Hi

Still looking for advice on how best to approach the cut.What tools should i use and i shall attempt myself to make the cut.I am new to Inventor so need some guidance on how best to create the cut to suit the worm

Best Regards

James

Message 3 of 17
JDMather

You are going to have to supply more information.

Pictures of actual parts?

Url to similar parts?

First thing I noticed is that your circle sketch is not perpendicular to the Sweep path, therefore the twisted "wire" is not round.  (slightly oval)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

Hope these pictures can help

Thanks

Message 5 of 17
dan_inv09

Pictures like these?

Message 6 of 17
James__S
in reply to: dan_inv09

Thanks.Those pictures are exactly what i am wanting to replicate

Hopefully some help on how to create would be appreciated

Thank you

Message 7 of 17
James__S

Thoughts please.It looks like either the 100% or 200%.

Best regards

James

Message 8 of 17
JDMather

This is not going to be an easy problem.
It would be best if you made some attempts and attach them here for pointers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
dan_inv09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3-rpy8qrOA&list=PLWbKJby--ZPSU6srfO18AQns_Am-5cETi

"The progressive cavity pump consists of a helical rotor and a twin helix, twice the wavelength and double the diameter helical hole in a rubber stator."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_cavity_pump

it looks like it might be as simple as

Message 10 of 17
James__S

Thanks for the part.It looks very much like the stator.

Would the worm also be made using the Coil tool?

Cheers

James

Message 11 of 17
James__S

I make the stator.Please see attached

How would i now make the metal worm which rotates inside the stator?

I then will attempt to make it rotate inside the stator (reading now how to achieve)

Thanks

James

Message 12 of 17
James__S

I have tried to make the rotor fit correctly to the stator but i am having trouble working it out.I used a coil with 1.5 revolution the same as the stator but it does not seem correct.I watched the youtube video in the post reply by Dan,

Can someone help me along here so that the rotor matches the stator as i want to then have it rotate

Best Regards

James

Message 13 of 17
James__S

Still looking for some help here from experienced users

I do not know how to progress further

James

Message 14 of 17
dan_inv09

I think the rotor has to have twice the wavelength as the stator.

So, you've got 350 mm length with 1.5 revolutions on each - either make the stator 3 revolutions or the rotor 0.75, I think - I'm just figuring it out same as you.

You might have more luck on sort of a general engineering forum. If you found someone with actual experience with these pumps they might be able to tell you more about the pump to help you model it.

Also keep in mind that the "center" of the rotor has to move - it's not going to rotate around the axis of the stator. You are going to have a lot of work to figure out how to do that - again, probably find some pump guys somewhere else on the internet. Once you have a better idea of how it will move someone here might be able to help you get it to do that.

You could also try starting a new post with a Subject something like, "How do I move my Progressive Cavity Pump?" or, "How to constrain my Eccentric Screw Pump?" or something - to try and find someone with experience with these pumps on this forum ("how to cut out worm case" obviously didn't get their attention if there is anyone here who's modeled these before).

Message 15 of 17
dan_inv09

Sorry, I was wrong - they are modeled correctly. So, it's just a question of how to constrain them together and how to move them.

Message 16 of 17
dan_inv09

"The progressive cavity pump consists of a helical rotor and a twin helix, twice the wavelength and double the diameter helical hole in a rubber stator."

I don't know what that means!

Somehow, one of the parts must not be made with a coil - I think?

When I had Revolutions the same, I constrained the center point of each end of the rotor to the plane of axis of the slot - if you know what I mean (the YZ Plane of the stator) and then constrained that point to the XZ Plane but at "25 mm * cos(Angle)" (25 mm is half of 50 mm - center to center on the slot) where "Angle" is the renamed parameter for the constraint between the YZ Planes of the rotor and the stator. The end with the connector is constrained similarly except at "-25 mm * cos(Angle)" and the center point is also constrained to the face. So I can drive the angle constraint through 180° and the two ends move up and down the slots and it looks okay at the start and the end but in section view it looks like it's going the wrong way - Okay, so just reverse the rotation on one of the coils, right? Wrong, it still does the same thing.

So I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully the assembly file will work with the part files attached earlier (who knows what I had fiddled with at this point).

I've spent my whole morning messing with this so when you do figure it out or find someone to explain how it's supposed to work you have to post the solution, okay?

Message 17 of 17
James__S

Hi Dan

Thanks for the iam. file....i will view shortly

Yes if i can get it to work i will post back

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report