Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to Make a coil cord cable model when it is folded

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rnanj001
1979 Views, 4 Replies

how to Make a coil cord cable model when it is folded

Hi,

I am trying to make a  model of coil cord cable (looks like phone cable) in the autodesk inventor10. I know to make a model of the coil cord when it is straight, but how can i make the coil cord model when it is folder. Any help will he up much appreciated.

Thanks

Ravi

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mark.Downes
in reply to: rnanj001

Hi,

Their is a way to "Fudge a look-a-like", but its is only a Fudge as it

squashes the coil out of true shap.

Make a coil in the straight length,

Create a new sketch and draw a line through the coil that "touches the model" (Important, or it won't work)

Use the bend tool command.

Again, this is only a quick "look-a-like"

Hope this helps

Mark

Inventor 2013

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 3 of 5
JDMather

This question has come up here many times in the past.  A search might turn up solutions.

Attach the file of what you have attempted so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
jhugler

Hello Ravi

I was looking to do the same thing in Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  Make a helix of the desired radius and height.  While making the helix , after entering the top and bottom radius, enter "T" for the number of turns and enter 1.  You want only one turn of the helix of the desired radius and height.  Then just copy the one-turn of helix and connect and rotate each piece until you have the entire cord shape.  Select all and "Join" the pieces creating a continuous spline.  Draw a circle of the desired cord thickness and do a "Sweep".  You should have a nearly perfect cord.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jhugler

@jhugler wrote:

Hello Ravi

.... Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  .....

This is the Inventor forum.  It is much easier in Inventor.  I hope it did not take the OP 2 yrs to figure out how to model the part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report