Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home view after finishing a sketch

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Mark_Wigan
1449 Views, 12 Replies

home view after finishing a sketch

i can't find where to tell inventor to not switch back to the home view after finish a sketch edit. sometimes it is handy but often it is nice to see the part update after doing some sketch editing rather then the home view spinning the part away. i think we are capable of hitting F6 ourself if we wanted that view.

i have found that inventor 2011  will always do this when you are looking square onto the sketch and then finish the sketch . am i right to say that this is only a 2011 thing? i cannot recall previously this happened. i am finding that i am always finishing my sketch and having to hit F5 after inventor swings away to home view.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
BMiller63
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

you are correct, this was an "improvement" put into 2011.

And it's terrible.

AD did NOT provide a switch to turn it off, AFAIK. Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 13
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: BMiller63

thanks, i thought i was starting to go crazy for a minute. just those little things that happen and after a while you think "why is this happening".

it is like someone flicking you in the back of the ear when you are trying to work.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 4 of 13
hfds006
in reply to: BMiller63

I'm happy to report that one quick search led me to this thread. It's always nice to find the answer your are looking for that easily.

As far as the answer goes I'm assuming that IV2012 also does not allow you to disable the "return to home view" improvemnet?

BOO BOO HISS BOO HISS BOOOOOOOO!!!!

Oh, did I mention I realy dislike this improvement?

Message 5 of 13
SBix26
in reply to: hfds006

I have the application option "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" unchecked, and I do not see this behavior.  That is, as long as I don't require automatic orientation to the sketch plane on entering the sketch, it won't re-orient to Home when leaving the sketch.

Message 6 of 13
hfds006
in reply to: SBix26

I also have "Look at Sketch Plane on Creation" unchecked. I hated that one also, but I have the option to disable it, so no issue there.

I still have IV returning to "home view" after closing a sketch, however I noticed this morning that at least one .ipt file that was created in an earlier version IV does not behave this way.

When I get some free time I'll have to investigate that a little further.

Message 7 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: hfds006

Hi! I am a bit confused here. If "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" option is unchecked, view direction should not change after you click Finish Sketch. Could you show me the workflow exhibiting the behavior you described?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 13
Mark_Wigan

Hi Johnson Shiue, in case you still require workflow...,

From memory, 

Start a new part, create first sketch on the origin plane.

Place the part into your assembly If you made it outside, then, edit it in place.

Zoom in, look at the sketch. Edit the first sketch. Finish the sketch.

Then see if your model spins away to home view.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 9 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! I follow the steps exactly as you described with "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" off. I could not reproduce the behavior. Are you sure the option is off?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13
Mark_Wigan

hi,

yes i am sure.

i will take a snapshot of all my options, and also i will record the workflow and send you a video so you can see it happen for yourself.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 11 of 13
Mark_Wigan

i have an interesting development (partial solution) to this that i would like to share that may help others.

after having seen this painful behaviour for a couple of years now and having no apparent toggle for whether this is wanted or not i tried to show the workflow clearly to be able to pass this onto our helpful correspondant.

for so long experiencing this i thought it would be a simple task however this ended up quite confusing. the result was not consistent every single time i tried to record this workflow. i will cut to the chase to what i suspect will solve this at least for me.

i use several part & sheetmetal templates. all (or so i thought) have the home view setup on the iso and the home view is also set to "fit to view".

as far as i can tell so far (testing this while at the same time i am trying to get my current project completed) if you ensure that your .ipt templates have the following settings, you should not have the annoying behavior, or at least not as extreme anyway:

so, in your ipt template:

a) set your home view on the plane that you normally start your sketch on. if you have a sketch in your template then set your home view looking directly at that sketch to the level of zoom that you think will be least annoying (referring to your design spinning away from you as per OP).

b) choose whether to set your home view to "fit to view" or "fixed distance" depending on what you prefer to live with later on when you are designing.

what made this difficult to diagnose was that the spin-away behaviour is not so bad when you are merely within the part, but when you are carrying out an edit-in-place, within a large assembly, the spin-away action can be extreme, ie you go from looking at a part that is 100mm long, to finish sketch, to spin-away to be looking at the entire design which may be 50 meters long! you may very well not be finished messing with the sketch. or the other sketches in that part before you see the old spin-away, so that is why the F5 key was getting a workout!

i think this will help my situation, and i will keep testing it for a while. for now it seems to be ok. this may explain why sometimes this happens and sometimes this does not happen. i suspect that i have a few templates... some that i started and some that i have kept from time to time that i perhaps did not start, or setup the home view myself.

either way i wonder if any readers of this post would care to make a short and simple comment on whether you have tried this and consider it the issue resolved, advise whether your own templates are setup with the home view on the iso or square on the sketch, if any.

a quick comment may assist ADesk to follow up if they are able to.

ok, i have to get back to the job now Smiley Happy

best regards,
- Mark

Message 12 of 13

All,

I teach Inventor classes and had a student ask me the same question you are asking.  From my observations, working with Inventor 2013, the models don't actually rotate back to the home view, but will rotate back to the orientation of the model when a sketch is created.  Therefore, I advise you to orient the part the way you want, then create / edit your sketch.  This will allow you to switch back to the previous orientation, once the sketch is completed.

I share your frustration with the feature and this automatic rotate should really be a toggle option.  Anyway, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all else is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 13 of 13
alenard
in reply to: petestrycharske

Found a very simple workaround:

Go into application options and under the sketch tab, regardless of whether or not "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation" is checked, make sure it is checked, hit apply, the uncheck it and hit apply again.

You're done.

Worked for me, at least! This recycles whatever code is behind this option and reapplies it. Not sure how often I'll have to do this, but the undesirable functionality is now gone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report