Inventor General

dticehurst
Message 1 of 5 (253 Views)

help trimming a complicated part

253 Views, 4 Replies
01-28-2013 07:38 AM

I am producing a design for an artist that will be sent to a laser cutting facility. The a simplified design is in the attached part. The part is linked to a spreadsheet which allows me to vary the width and thickness of the extrusion.

Now I need to remove pieces of the basic design to match the artist's design. (I've also attached a sample of the artist's early designs to give an idea of what the final piece will look like.) This is where I run into trouble. I've tried:

- Trimming the solid, but I need to be able to trim a completely bounded region on the x-y plane.

- Trimming a sketch of the whole thing, made using the circular pattern tool. However, I cannot trim an associative circular pattern and removing association also removes constraints on the patterned elements, meaning the spreadsheet no longer controls dimensions.

- Trimming a sketch made with equations curves, but apparently it is impossible to trim equation curves (except at their ends)

- I've also tried to make the sketch using the mirror and copy functions to no avail.

Help Please?

Thank you!

(Technical note: the entire design is comprised of 24 CW and 24 CCW logarithmic spirals which expand by the golden ratio over a rotation of 22.5 degrees. The spirals are approximated by circular arcs. The full 24-spiral part was too large to attach, so the attached part only has half the spirals.)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 5 (248 Views)

Re: help trimming a complicated part

01-28-2013 07:44 AM in reply to: dticehurst

dticehurst wrote:

The full 24-spiral part was too large to attach, so the attached part only has half the spirals.

Roll up the EOP before zipping and it will be small enough to attach here.

Several possible techniques.

Might use Grill to create.  (don't know if that will help in this case)

Might Project Geometry the pattern onto a new sketch and then Break Link to allow trimming (downside is loss of associativity).

Probably a couple of other techniques if one of these don't help.

In the artwork it doesn't look like there would be all that much cutting by Extrude-Cut.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
dticehurst
Message 3 of 5 (215 Views)

01-28-2013 01:13 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm making some progress with extrude-cut and supressing occurences in patterns.

Didn't know about rolling up EOP- neat!

dticehurst
Message 4 of 5 (150 Views)

02-07-2013 01:44 PM in reply to: dticehurst

A few general questions pertaining to the part I'm still working on:

- What does a teal colored curve in the sketch environment mean? (see attachment)

- (In the sketch environment) Suppose I have an equation curve that is intersected several time by other curves. Can I use the trim tool to remove a portion of the equation curve between two intersections? I cannot get this to work with equation curves.

- Suppose I have a surface that is intersected several time by other surfaces. Can I use the trim surface tool to remove a portion of the first surface between two intersections? I can only get this tool to define one "cutting surface"

dticehurst
Message 5 of 5 (148 Views)

02-07-2013 01:50 PM in reply to: dticehurst

...Of course I'm using the default "winter night" color scheme.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube